Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Fleas!

Hi All.

A horrible problem, and I am quite ashamed, but its got to the point I don't know what else to do....

Bella came home with fleas when we brought her. Which I was just disgusted at as the breeder said she had been flead/wormed. Ever since this, I can't get rid of the ******s!

We hover our carpet 2/3 times week. We had it steam cleaned. Bella has been flea treated every 4 weeks (with frontline...which I have heard becomes immune - so may try another treatment), we wash her bedding, we have flead the cats (though when checked, they had none).

I thought it may have been coming from my sisters JRT which Bella spends a lot of time with. But I gave him a sneaky check (my sister said he had been done) and found nothing on him.

The poor little thing is still scratching. She had her last treatment 2 weeks ago, and I found one on her the other day, and then one last night. Their big too!!

I'm running out of ideas. Our house is very clean, and we have tried everything possible to get rid of the ******s...I don't know whats happening!? I want my pup to be flea-free.

We haven't been bit etc, so i dont think they are living in the carpet / furniture. I just spot them on Bella.

Help!!
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
ooh I'm not swearing there! I put the bug...ger word.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
What flea spray are you using on the floors?
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Vacumm every day.. sometimes twice a day, get into the skirting boards and all the door jams etc.. we had fleas back in the winter and they took weeks of vacumming daily to get rid of them completely.

Also I was using Frontline and it wasn't working - I have since read alot of people have had this issue.

Good Luck!!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 02:39 PM
IMHO..you need to spray your house (I use Indorex or Acclaim) I do ours at least montly (with the spray) then hoover daily (I have a cat flea collar in the hoover, to kill any fleas that I hoover up)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Agree...you can't juse vacuum!
You need to treat the house too
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I do not use any treatments on my dogs I spray the house (and car) every 6 months with Acclaim or Indorex.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
IMHO..you need to spray your house (I use Indorex or Acclaim) I do ours at least montly (with the spray) then hoover daily (I have a cat flea collar in the hoover, to kill any fleas that I hoover up)
Good idea

Indorex....we use that. Its brill, I do my house once every 4 months with it, not because I have seen any fleas but its a safeguard. Do it when the house is really people free and shut off the rooms leaving the window open abit to ventilate and keep your dog out of the room/s for a while after you have done them. I spray everything, even under the beds
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 09:18 PM
The animal is just a roving snack bar for the fleas. It is your home you have to concentrate on treating (of course treat the animal too). Quite a lot of people cannot spot fleas on their pets but are infested. A friend of mine who had a severe problem ended up having hers 'fumigated' by professionals.

Cat fleas bite me (most fleas on dogs these days are cat fleas) and I've been into houses where they didn't know they had a problem 'til I walked in! If they are there - they jump on my feet and legs almost immediately.

I had a neighbour in cornwall who knew she had a problem (it was there when she moved in) they did everything they could and then laid all new carpets. I popped in to set up their son's computer and within minutes I had hoppy fleas biting me! They ended up getting someone in too.

Someone else I know used some sort of 'smoke bombs'(?) to treat their house when they realised their carpets were infested.

Some animals are not bothered by fleas on them and I was told that if they've had them for ages, they no longer scratch a lot. When you have a pet that has flea allergy contact dermatitis problems you become a bit of an expert on fleas! I've had two - a cat and a dog. It's very distressing to see what it does to them.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

Thank you. I spoke with the vet yesterday also, which said sprays etc won't actually work on the eggs. She said Bella didn't have any on her at the time which is good. But I didn't realise 95% of fleas live in the home...not on your pet!!

So I will be definitely getting some spray and try to treat the house as best as I can. Hopefully I can get rid of the little monkeys soon!

Thanks again x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >