Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Do dogs have an Adam's apple?

I feel completely stupid here, and my long past anatomy lessons are hidden in the depths of my brain cell.

Do dogs have the equivalent of an Adam's Apple please.......if they don't, and I suspect not, then today I felt a round lump on the front of his throat which I certainly have not noticed before.

It is round and roughly the diameter of a one pence piece; solid and immovable. I am beginning to worry, because over the two years that we have had him I have noticed that when he swallows he sort of gulps sometimes, with his head moving forwards - a bit like an exaggerated movement that we might make if we have a sore throat.

I think that a vet visit is on the immediate horizon - what does anyone think please?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:54 PM
i have no idea and about to go and google adamas apples in dogs, however I think if you are in doubt with any lumps my opinion is always GEt it checked. bruno had one last year that at first I just thought was a fatty lump as he gets lots of them but then doubted - took him to vets and turned out to be a sarcoma so if in doubt - check it out
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks Brundog, I too have googled and it does seem that male dogs do have such a thing.

What a relief........just don't know why I have never felt it before though I will still check it out with the vet as Jimmi is due for a check up pre jabs
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Thanks Brundog, I too have googled and it does seem that male dogs do have such a thing.

What a relief........just don't know why I have never felt it before though I will still check it out with the vet as Jimmi is due for a check up pre jabs
who knew ....... off to wake bruno up to find his LOL
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I took loui to the vets before...they said he was normal
Every now and again I do feel it to see if it's changed. I don't think he gotit til he was about 3 tho!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I took loui to the vets before...they said he was normal
Every now and again I do feel it to see if it's changed. I don't think he gotit til he was about 3 tho!

Jimmi is in his teens somewhere. Oh dear Dobermann, are we all obsessed with lumps to the point of being numpties I wonder
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Lol must be!
Meg1
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2017, 03:25 PM
I just spoke to my Vet about a lump I found in my female dog and he said it is probable her adams apple. It moves up & down when she swallows. He said to keep an eye on it for any changes and if there are he will take a look at it. Since this is an old post I'm sure you already know that.