Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2017, 05:20 PM

Leads

What are members thoughs on on or off the lead?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
What are members thoughs on on or off the lead?
'evening Besoeker

In our house it's simple, unless we are close to a road our two dogs are 'off lead' SWMBO wouldn't have it any other way

That does mean we have to go by car but we have the option of three walks which are within 1 mile and loads around Knettishal Heath which is only 5 miles.

When Casey first came to us he was inclined to chase things (Deer especially) but he has settled down so much now that I don't have any worries, if he sees a Deer he will move towards it but never goes far and always within sight, same with Lara.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-03-2017, 06:54 PM
It all depends on what we're doing and where we are. Even though my two are very obedient, I'd never dream of walking them off lead along a busy road or in a town.

At home though because we're surrounded by fields and woods and not likely to see any vehicles, they're off lead most of the time. Having said that I do like to keep them up to scratch with their loose leash walking so sometimes I'll take them out on their leads.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
'evening Besoeker

In our house it's simple, unless we are close to a road our two dogs are 'off lead' SWMBO wouldn't have it any other way

That does mean we have to go by car but we have the option of three walks which are within 1 mile and loads around Knettishal Heath which is only 5 miles.

When casey first came to us he was inclined to chase things (Deer especially) but he has settled down so much now that I don't have any worries, if he sees a Deer he will move towards it but never goes far and always within sight, same with Lara.
Similar here. We can step out the front gate and walk for an hour or so with no roads. I do take the lead because we sometimes take a detour to a local convenience store where there is road traffic.

What prompted me to post the topic is the number of walkers I see struggling to control their big dog on a lead. I've stopped asking why they don't let them off.
"Won't come back" is the usual response.

But if they haven't tried, they don't know. At what point do you accept/trust that your dog is loyal to you?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
It all depends on what we're doing and where we are. Even though my two are very obedient, I'd never dream of walking them off lead along a busy road or in a town.
I agree. Then we rarely walk in town or on busy roads.

Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
At home though because we're surrounded by fields and woods and not likely to see any vehicles, they're off lead most of the time. Having said that I do like to keep them up to scratch with their loose leash walking so sometimes I'll take them out on their leads.
We don't have a loose lead/leash. If Max is on the lead I do so because I want to have firm/close control of him. He has no problem with that.
"Max, lead" and he waits for it and matches his pace to mine.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Mine are off lead where ever possible, We usually walk in the country park which is 800 acres or Epping Forest, both have lots of variety to keep them occupied.
Most people who say their dogs won't come back is because they've never done any recall training with their dog.
I've managed to walk 7 off lead at once, both large and small.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Mine are off lead where ever possible, We usually walk in the country park which is 800 acres or Epping Forest, both have lots of variety to keep them occupied.
Most people who say their dogs won't come back is because they've never done any recall training with their dog.
I didn't either.
We just formed a bond. Of mutual trust. I can't say quite how that works. But it did after just a few weeks.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I didn't either.
We just formed a bond. Of mutual trust. I can't say quite how that works. But it did after just a few weeks.
Maybe other people think they'll miraculously develop a bond too so don't bother with training. Personally I train from the minute they come home and prefer to leave nothing to chance.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Maybe other people think they'll miraculously develop a bond too so don't bother with training. Personally I train from the minute they come home and prefer to leave nothing to chance.
Other people might.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Yeah and if it worked for most people and most dogs maybe there wouldn't be so many dogs given up for rehoming before their 2nd birthday.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »