Female 

12-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Marjorie Proops
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Just finished watching the rest.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the others, as there was a glimmer of light in the last minute - the next one will be at a rescue shelter. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad idea after all - maybe the rescue shelter will have a more modern approach to dog training and general attitudes...

Best thing about the show so far - the dogs!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Best thing about the show so far - the dogs!
Ohh yes- I will never tire of seeing dogs doing jobs and of course that show had Malinoisses in abundance

Big secret - the first few times I saw dogs doing agility live, I cried my eyes out... it was as if I was feeling their excitement myself. Have always wanted to participate in something like that myself but it hasn't happened... yet.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Ohh yes- I will never tire of seeing dogs doing jobs and of course that show had Malinoisses in abundance
Think you just created a new word

I did like the look of their Mals - their faces didn't seem as pointy :/ (I posted a thread about it in the Pastoral section)
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am not sure whether the vast majority of those who watch such programmes do so to learn or to feel smug and marvel, a bit like watching Jeremy Vile?
I would love to see a breakdown of the social groups who watch JV.

I once met someone went to be in the audience of it and almost aspired to be involved. Thankfully, same person is now older, wiser and although their social life is still complex, at least holds down a good job which they love and are good at, which has become the greater focus in their life.

That is not to say all fans/participants fall into the jobless/faithless category but there are a good many who have unresolved issues such as abuse, drugs or alcoholism.

There are also many who have has similar issues who choose not to air their laundry - dirty or otherwise - in public.

There is an element of circus sideshow freakery with JV. My elderly mother who is just over the edge of incipient dementia, loves it. I do my best to persuade her her to switch over to This Morning or Loose Women instead.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Think you just created a new word
Maybe I did - Malis and their noses (noisses?) are inseparable. I keep reminding my one that that little black lump of the end of her face gets her into soooo much trouble (and it does)...! That nose is into everything - every bag, every coat pocket, every nook and cranny, just like my own personal Customs & Excise official. (Yes she is one of those dogs that likes sniffing crotches too).

I did like the look of their Mals - their faces didn't seem as pointy :/ (I posted a thread about it in the Pastoral section)
How odd... they all have long finely chiselled and tapered heads (or are meant to).

The one thing I find that varies in working versus show, is the ear size. Many working ones have satellite dishes up top... which I personally don't find attractive at all. I didn't get the impression the Malis on the show had over-large ears though it wasn't easy to see.... I wonder if the large ear to nose ratio makes them look pointier nosed?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2012, 06:45 AM
I thought it was good. The lad with a staffie seemed to have really changed. Loved the SA dogs and think they have a very tough job to do with vile poachers.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I would love to see a breakdown of the social groups who watch JV.

I once met someone went to be in the audience of it and almost aspired to be involved. Thankfully, same person is now older, wiser and although their social life is still complex, at least holds down a good job which they love and are good at, which has become the greater focus in their life.

That is not to say all fans/participants fall into the jobless/faithless category but there are a good many who have unresolved issues such as abuse, drugs or alcoholism.

There are also many who have has similar issues who choose not to air their laundry - dirty or otherwise - in public.

There is an element of circus sideshow freakery with JV. My elderly mother who is just over the edge of incipient dementia, loves it. I do my best to persuade her her to switch over to This Morning or Loose Women instead.
I'm convinced most people that watch JK are middle class students with nothing to do.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
I'm convinced most people that watch JK are middle class students with nothing to do.
*raises hand*
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:18 AM
As others have said, it's a difficult one. Clearly the trainer cared about his dogs in his own way and the british kids were infuriating. At the same time though I do not understand what this achieved... If the pack leader method and choke chains are outdated then why is this the better alternative to show them?! The kids (and others watching) just went away taught that they have to be the "boss"... I wanted to put a choke chain on the trainer and yank it myself watching him to that to the dog.
Page 8 of 43 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »