Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 07:42 AM

How crate training helps

Is really paying off
since a younger puppy I have asked her into her crate when everyone eats and now she does so the minute the plates are ready.

We have all ways had a problem with mum and Millie she gets bad seperation anxiaty when mum goes to have a shower downstairs and millie cant be with her. So earlier in the year the second millie would start scratching at the door like crazy I would call Millie into her crate, it took a couple of weeks and before long Millie has not scratched at the door since.

This morning Millie was going through a seperation anxiaty phase again and before she could get any worse she took herself off to her crate and got in all by herself and is now completely quiet and heading for the land of nod I rewarded her and praised her ^__^

Its the same first thing in the morning when i come in and have to clean up from time to time I go to the utility room and when I come out the dog is in her crate all ready o.0''

Having a crate is so important to me as a new dog owner as I just would not know how to train her off her habbits otherwise. Its like its her safe comforting place. Millie was at home in her crate the day we got it as she had been raised in one at the breeders.
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Crates are the best thing a dog owner can buy, with Kongs being the second. I have two dogs, so having crates is wonderful when they need a break from eachother or when I want to let them chew a Kong or a bone without trying to steal eachothers'.
Aisell
New Member!
Female 

19-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for sharing this information. Many of the puppy owners would find this of great help. It is essential to give importance to the food that you give to the dog. It is better to take suggestions from professional puppy trainers.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 01:12 PM
It is possible to manage without though. They aren`t the answer for every problem - or every dog. And, like any training aid, they can be misused.
There was a member (long gone) who advocated shutting young dogs in one all day with no covering for the wire mesh floor (because it stopped them fouling it).
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with Claire - crates are a useful item to have for a puppy, but their use can be badly abused and they are not essential. I have only ever used a crate with one of my pups (current pup). I used it at night and it did help a great deal with house-training. However, it was mainly used at night and hardly ever during the day. At 4.5 months it was packed away. I think the important thing is to be careful how the crate is being used and what the aims of using it are. What is the crate is being actually used for and how long is the dog spending in the crate?
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:25 PM
I love crate training. It is nice to know if I can not be there (or aware because of sleep) that my pup has not got into the wrong thing, such as chewing a wire or anything else harmful. To me it just sets them up for success in life.