Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2005, 09:55 AM

Expecting? Surely not!

While we were on hols end of March/beginning of April, Jake was staying with friends who have a 4yr old Golden Retriever who is apparently due to come into season soon.

Thing is, they took her to the vet recently for a routine vaccination and while checking her over, the vet noticed her womb was a bit 'doughy' and she was distinctly reluctent to let the vet examine her rear end. For some reason, they came to the conclusion she might be expecting...

As I've been to our vet with Jake a few times recently, I asked if, given his tender age, it were possible he could have had his wicked way while on his hols. Vet said 'Yep, from any time after 6 months.'

As the Golden Retriever was some weeks off being in season, I can't see it's possible she's expecting. But then it surprised me that Jake could theoretically father pups, so what do I know? Any thoughts on this one?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Unless she was actually in season, ready to stand, and was covered by Jack or another visiting Romeo, she cannot be pregnant ( bear in mind that bitches can have silent seasons). The texture of her womb on palpation is probably an indication that she is coming into heat.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 10:20 AM
i would ask the owner to get the bitch scanned .............bitches can have silent seasons
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 10:22 AM
if she is pregnant, then isnt there an injection the bitch can have at any point through the pregnancy to abort the puppies?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny
if she is pregnant, then isnt there an injection the bitch can have at any point through the pregnancy to abort the puppies?
Don't know if they'd consider that. They have joked a couple of times that they'd love some Jake+Fudge puppies. Don't know what they'd feel about the reality of it though...
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Its one thing to joke about, but with a litter of maybe 10 crossbreeds to think of, isnt so funny

Hope she isnt pregnant, keep us updated!!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Nope, no pups! Confirmed by a visit to the vet and she's now in season!

Thing is, she's due to stay with us later in the year (Sept/Oct), so about 4 month's time. Will she be 'safe' then?
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
If the bitch is not in season then it will be safe
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by saz
If the bitch is not in season then it will be safe
Yup, I'd figured that much My vague impression is that bitches usually have 2 seasons a year, so 1 every six months. Therefore, we should be OK by 2 months. Or is that over simplified? I'm soooo glad we got a male!
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
You hit the nail on the head lol she will be 2 months early for a season.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >