View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Just a quick update. I have just had a very long conversation with a lovely lady who runs the LOCAL gsd rescue which is only 6 miles from me. I told her everything, including my latest doubts about whether Georgie even wants a companion, and I think she may have come up with the perfect solution!!

Although she was happy to include my Vigil gsd rescue homecheck as hers, they do actually have a local man in my area, who she thinks might be able to solve my problem for me. He has a long coated gsd himself who is very friendly, and she has suggested that if he popped up to see us one morning with his own dog, then we could just see whether Georgie would like the company of another or not, and I think this might just be the ideal solution. Afterall, I know Georgie well enough to know whether he is happy or not with another dog on his territory, so that will be interesting, coz we've never had a gsd paying us a visit, only little dogs which he hasn't bothered to play with much, he more tolerates them if you know what I mean, whereas another gsd might just spark him off into play mode again! I will update when he's been to see us and I will definitely have the camera out!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a great idea H. I get the idea you haven't altogether given up on the idea of a new addition, you are just checking it from all angles?? Very wise.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Sounds like great news a really good idea!
Glad you have found someone that will help you find out what is best!

cant wait for pics of any meetings!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I will update when he's been to see us and I will definitely have the camera out!!!
That will be very interesting, look forward to seeing the piccies
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
sounds like the perfect taster for you and Georgie, make sure we get lots of pics xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks all Yes, I thought so too, but of course, when I speak to him and arrange for him to come round, I am going to ask if he could meet me up on the village green to start off with, and that way, it gives Georgie half a chance, rather than him just turning up at the house, coz that's not really fair on Georgie, he might object to that you just never know with him.

Thinking about it, we've never actually met another gsd since he lost Cassie, and I've never seen him want to play with any other dog he knows, most of which are much smaller, so this is going to answer my question 100% when he meets another gsd, coz I have found with these dogs they do recognise their own breed and favour them as another playmate, that's been my experience anyway, so we shall see.

I did say to her it would be funny if they really hit it off, coz I'd then have to steal his dog from him!!! Thanks again Guys, I think this is the very best option to date, and I'm still keeping those fingers firmly crossed!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
excellent idea Aitch.
Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing what you thought . x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
hi h

another option would be to foster for the rescue and see how it goes ?? although knowing you they probably wouldnt get the foster dog back !!

but it might be a good middle ground as will help a dog who needs it and allow georgie a chance to ease in gently to sharing his house again?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I was thinking that too Dani, and I mentioned this to her, but then I said, the trouble with taking in a foster is, I would want to take something urgent and that might have meant something unsuitable perhaps, but she assured me that even if I took this route, they would only match me with a suitable dog, so yes of course, that is something I am still thinking about. She also said that it would be a way of giving a dog a bit of a break from kennel life, which I'd really like to do, but again, it just HAS to be something suitable for me and Georgie, I'd hate for him to get hurt if we got the wrong dog! With respect Dani, coz I know how difficult it is at times for you with dear Bruno, but not forgetting that I have also had a dog aggressive dog, and she was probably worse than your Bruno, she just hated anything with fur on it!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
excellent idea Aitch.
Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing what you thought . x
Thanks Pat, it will just give me a chance to see won't it, without hurting anyone's feelings, neither a new dog or Georgie's, so it's pretty perfect all round I'd say!
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 >