Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 08:34 PM

What are your dogs favourite games?

I've been wondering what other peoples dogs like to play, with you?

with other dogs?

and by themselves?

Tonks like to play fetch with us and occasional tug games (although we rarely play "test of strength games)

She loves chasey/wrestley/mouthy games....and then lying on the floor mouthy mouthy once they are both tired.

throwing things up in the air, catching it and ripping things up .....or chewing/grinding a brick/shell etc.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:15 PM
If allowed to by Flynn, Jed loves to shake a tug toy around and buckaroo at the same time! He's not much of a chaser of toys though so throwing a ball for him ends up in me going to retrieve it myself. He loves to have a bit of a wrestle and likes you to try and wrestle a toy off him.

Flynn on the other hand loves to run so his favourite game involves a tennis ball and a slinger. He's more into retrieving toys than shaking them about or ripping them up and I never wrestle with him. He wont play with a toy alone, he loves the interaction. He will play tug but I dont like to do much of that with him because I dont want it to affect his delivery of retrieves. He's one of these dogs who has a grip like a vice and will not let go unless I tell him to.

Jessie has only just started to play and only seems to be familiar with tennis balls. When she's not trying to rip them up, she'll drop them at your feet and back off like alot of collies. She's quite happy to entertain herself with one by throwing it up in the air and catching it or pushing it with her nose or paw and then running after it.

With other dogs Jed will play the normal chasing game with the odd body barge. Flynn wont play with strange dogs and gets a bit moody if they interrupt his game with me. I've yet to see if Jessie will engage in play with other dogs as the opportunity hasnt arisen (she wont play with the other 2 as a general rule). Jed and Flynn like to playfight rough with each other.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:17 PM
lovely to hear all their individual tastes!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Freda plays tuggy, fetch and hide-the-toy with me..

She plays 'instigate the game' with Snip, that involves biting his ears and pinning him to the floor until he's had enough and chases her off. With more willing participants, she will play tug or chase or just make them envious of her toy and run off with it.

With herself, she will play 'throw the carcass in the air', dig a ravine, or she'll run around with her favourite piece of rope and try and hit herself with it. Alternatively, she'll loop a rope round and stand with her foot in the loop and while holding the other end, try and walk - so effectively playing tug with her leg.

Mental...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Freda plays tuggy, fetch and hide-the-toy with me..

She plays 'instigate the game' with Snip, that involves biting his ears and pinning him to the floor until he's had enough and chases her off. With more willing participants, she will play tug or chase or just make them envious of her toy and run off with it.

With herself, she will play 'throw the carcass in the air', dig a ravine, or she'll run around with her favourite piece of rope and try and hit herself with it. Alternatively, she'll loop a rope round and stand with her foot in the loop and while holding the other end, try and walk - so effectively playing tug with her leg.

Mental...
playing tugg with herself....that's clever!

I must start playing hunt the toy with Tonks. She's not that toy orientated so i might have to treat her once she finds it.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
playing tugg with herself....that's clever!

I must start playing hunt the toy with Tonks. She's not that toy orientated so i might have to treat her once she finds it.
Freda's the other way round! She's not really into treats - and I'm not used to training a dog who isn't! The problem is, her interest in toys goes as soon as there are rabbits about or when she's in an unfamiliar situation. She's just taking a little longer!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Freda's the other way round! She's not really into treats - and I'm not used to training a dog who isn't! The problem is, her interest in toys goes as soon as there are rabbits about or when she's in an unfamiliar situation. She's just taking a little longer!
ooo i can't imagine training a non food orientated dog!

My OH is doing sit, down up to sit again with hand signals and then words only.........Tonks is more than happy to comply as he gave her one almond! One almond!!! I wouldn't work for that!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:48 PM
My collie loves playing with balls he will carry one ball in his mouth whilst pushing the other round the floor... its quite funny especially when he tries to pick up two balls at once
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
ooo i can't imagine training a non food orientated dog!

My OH is doing sit, down up to sit again with hand signals and then words only.........Tonks is more than happy to comply as he gave her one almond! One almond!!! I wouldn't work for that!
Hehehe - that's pretty impressive! Tonks sounds like a darling..
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Hehehe - that's pretty impressive! Tonks sounds like a darling..
Well we think she is!! I pressume almonds are ok for dogs, she seems to like them more then liver cake! This is the first time she has had them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >