Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Thought I'd lost Ozzie tonight!

God, I have just had the most dreadful experience walking Ozzie tonight. I met up with my friend on the beach we had a lovely walk along the beach, just towards the end a handglider but with an engine on it took off then another - Well Ozzie, tail down, just scarpered, he was petrified.

He went back down on the beach and just ran like lightening, I told my friend to go, as I knew she had a class booked at the gym, I ran back down the beach and couldn't see him anywhere, the gliders were sticking to the coast so Ozzie must have thought they were chasing him

Everyone I passed kept saying he went that way - very quickly, and I just couldn't see him. At this stage I was close to tears, when 1 of the 2 lads walking towards me had Ozzie in there arms, they said he hadn't stopped trembling

Ooooh I nearly kissed them I was so grateful, luckily they had seen me earlier with my friend so knew Ozzie was lost, the relief was almost overwhelming.

When I got back to the car park, my friend had waited in case Ozzie had turned and ran back through the dunes. I feel so guilty for making her miss her class. I'm still shaking now!

It has me worried now though, Ozzie is very good on recall, but if he gets spooked by something again - well I have to wonder if I should let him off lead - it will be such a shame!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh Sharon, how scary, thank goodness those lads had seen you earlier and managed to catch the little fella.

I can just imagine what was going through your mind as I was in a similar position a few months back when mine got out.

And what a good friend to wait in case he came back that way, I'm sure she didn't mind missing her class, we all know you would have done exactly the same for her.

Big hugs to you and Ozzie xxxxxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Ozzie is very good on recall, but if he gets spooked by something again - well I have to wonder if I should let him off lead - it will be such a shame!
I know what you mean here, our Bara can get spooked by loud noises (especially fireworks) but I would like to think that he will have some free running on his walks.

Sounds like hang gliders are just one more thing to check for prior to letting him off.

How far is the beach from your house? Would he know his way home if it happened again?
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Awwwww sharon i am so pleased every thing turned out ok for you i can feel for you cos i know i would have been in the same state as you perhaps ozzie might be better on those long leads then that way he still gets to have a run then you wont have that worry again its worth thinking about.sending you big hugs x
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
How scary, that's happened to me before so I know how you felt. Good lads though, picking up Ozzie so he couldn't run any further, I'm pleased he's back with you, I expect he has forgot all about it by now...
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Thank you all, I've just about recovered now Ozzie well you wouldn't believe anything had happened looking at him now!

The beach is too far for him to make his way back home and also there is a main road that is lethal.

You might be right, it's a shame as the beach was the only place I could take him for an off lead run, and he so enjoys it. Its the first time I've come across those motorised gliders, they were so low too.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
God I feel for you.
Tonto has done that before if I walk him without Inca he is a big wussie. I was in the field over the road and two labs came to say hello and he just scarpered, heading straight to the road.
The tail was down, and I know when Tont's tail is down he's terrified.
I just screamed and screamed, and when that didn't work started doing this african wail and yodelling. He was so shocked he stopped to look, thankfully, and then came back as the labs had long gone.
No wonder you nearly kissed them, poor little Ozzie. I hate it when they are terrified if something and there is no telling them otherwise.
Give him a big hug from Tonto, who knows whats it like.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh bless you. My heart was in my mouth just reading it. What lovely lads to get hold of Ozzie for you. Hopefully the gliders were a one off and you won't see them again. Big hugs from us. xx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh the poor wee mite he must have been terrified. Glad he has made a full recovery, they certainly get over these things faster than we do!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
How awful for both of you Shaza. Hope you both recover quickly *hugs* xox
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >