Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Murv View Post
"any member of the family should be able to take any item from the dog at any time with no negative reaction?"
There seems to be a certain lack of understanding that you are dealing with an animal in the statement.
If you are expecting an animal to be a supine lump that will allow any behaviour from anyone without reaction... don`t get a dog.
I would not allow my children to bother the dog while he is eating. I would not allow my dog to bother the children while they are eating.
That`s manners.
Yes I could call my dog off food if needed. They have been trained to do that. But it`s a matter of training and trust. My dog trusts me not to allow Grannie to charge up and pinch her dinner.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Over treat/bones etc?

Also, do you agree with the statement that "any member of the family should be able to take any item from the dog at any time with no negative reaction?"

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris
I do agree with the statement but it requires training of the dogs and the kids.
I have successfully trained dogs who used to resource guard that it's not necessary, food is plentiful and no one is allowed to nick someone elses prize possession. They have learnt to share but it takes time and consistency.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I do believe people should be able to take anything off a dog but not because of any misguided dominance rubbish, simply because it may well save the dogs life one day. I put a lot of work into making sure Rupert saw me being near his food as a good thing. I've dropped countless pieces of chicken, cheese and various other left overs into his bowl while he's eating. I can take food away from him if really necessary but I don't make a habit of doing it coz if someone kept taking my food away I'd become rather aggressive about it too. He's left to eat in peace for the most part but is so used to having extras put in his bowl that if I move while he's eating he comes to see what I've got for him.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Over treat/bones etc?

Also, do you agree with the statement that "any member of the family should be able to take any item from the dog at any time with no negative reaction?"

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris
Pretty much agree with what others have said

I think its a trust thing. I train my dogs to trust people and each other around food and stuff - at the same time they trust me to make sure they are secure with their food and they dont have to guard it

also you have to pick your battles

Mia was a 1/2 starved stray when I got her, yes she guarded everything

Some silly fool put out a cooked chicken 'for the foxes' I had no expectations that a dog I had had for such a short time was going to give that up cos I asked - but at the same time I didnt want her eating her fill of cooked chicken bones

so I scattered yummy treats on the ground, I played daft games I enticed her away and made her forget about it

as for other people
I teach my dogs to give things up when needed - and i stop people trying to take things off my dogs
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There seems to be a certain lack of understanding that you are dealing with an animal in the statement.
If you are expecting an animal to be a supine lump that will allow any behaviour from anyone without reaction... don`t get a dog.
I would not allow my children to bother the dog while he is eating. I would not allow my dog to bother the children while they are eating.
That`s manners.
Yes I could call my dog off food if needed. They have been trained to do that. But it`s a matter of training and trust. My dog trusts me not to allow Grannie to charge up and pinch her dinner.
I'm the same.

I personally would rather my 10 year old sister not remove things of high value from my dog, although she could, I would rather she ask him to bring it to her and leave it, or if its urgent (?) I would take it myself, or my husband. Although the dog respects her I feel its better for me to do it. If I have to take something off him I know is valuable, like a bone or something, I will always give him something back in place of it so he doesnt worry about me pinching stuff off him - if that makes sense.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:10 PM
For me teaching the dog that it's okay for people to take stuff or mess with their food is more a safety precaution than anything. I don't want someone bitten because they've accidentally gotten closer to my dogs food or toys or bed or whatever than he's comfortable with. Or because they've done something stupid before I could stop them (while they'd probably deserve a bite it's the dog who'd be blamed).
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 09:17 PM
All of my dogs bar Guinness are ok with anyone taking anything from them. I've taught them this in case Ethan takes something from them. We were warned that Guinness has really bad food guarding issues and were told not to feed him with the others. However we have taught him that it's ok to eat with the others and he will always get his food so he's relaxed now and even lets the others lick his bowl when he's finished at the same time as he's licking it! The main problem is he will not give up a chew without a growl but if you say "NO" he will let you reluctantly! He is getting better but I'm always with Ethan when the dogs have chews so it's not too much of a problem. The day he gives up a chew without growling I will throw a party!!
He will let you take his food away and he will let you take a toy from him so he's doing really well.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post

The main problem is he will not give up a chew without a growl but if you say "NO" he will let you reluctantly! He is getting better but I'm always with Ethan when the dogs have chews so it's not too much of a problem. The day he gives up a chew without growling I will throw a party!!
He will let you take his food away and he will let you take a toy from him so he's doing really well.
Sorry to "snip" but do you use a kind of swapping system or anything, and does he get his chew back? It's just that growling may sometimes escalate into further warnings such as air snaps, then actual snaps or bites.

A lot of peeps will practice taking things away, but don't always ensure that the dog is comfortable with doing so - and this can sometimes mean that the dog starts to get more, rather than less, comfortable around people at the time of having a chew ... and may take things further when it is least expected...

Hope you don't mind me saying this . It's just that from what you describe, you are making him growl but not really helping him associate humans near his food with good things.

Wys
x
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Many thanks for your replies all, it's greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Chris
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
The main problem is he will not give up a chew without a growl but if you say "NO" he will let you reluctantly!
If I came up to you and grabbed your box of chocolates then shouted at you when you protested.... would that be teaching you to share or would it be storing up resentment for later?
That is the danger with intimidating dogs into giving up their prized posessions - it can backfire badly.
Why not play swapsies with your dog? And teach your son the game as well?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >