View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I think things depend on the rescue and the individual, but I would have hoped such a young dog should have been given more of a chance

The only solution is to control dog breeding more so there are less animals in shelters and they all get the chance at a loving home
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
As others have said I dont think you can put a time on it as each dog has an individual case.
That story of the little staff is SO sad. I am wondering how hard they tried to get him a foster home. I am not slating the rescue but he was only 9 MONTHS!! If they had an appeal out in newspapers and things they would have surely found a home for him.
I know I have applied to foster in the past for several rescues and most didnt reply......and it couldnt have just been cos i wasnt suitable as I didnt have to put a lot of details down. I just think rescues are so busy things just arent happening sometimes.
I know that we ourselves think that we failed him, as do BAARK, more so because perhaps more could have been done, but its the funds and manpower to do that and sadly we have more dogs than volunteers to do all that stuff.

Having said that I think the vet could see how stressed and ill this dog was. His back legs were down to the bone with his stress and self harm.
We had appealed for a foster for at least 2 months and nothing was forthcoming. Its just so so sad.

He had 2 homes between birth and 16 weeks old, and then spent the rest of the time in kennels - what sort of life is that ?? sorry cant say anymore than that it just upsets me so much that a dog is so worthless to someone that they just give up on it and chuck in the towel at 16 weeks old !!!

However I do agree- no young dog should suffer this but whats the answer there are so many and just NO homes for them. and more being bred - only tonight someone has posted on the forum asking for help rehoming their accidental litter as they cant get rid of them.....
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I know that we ourselves think that we failed him, as do BAARK, more so because perhaps more could have been done, but its the funds and manpower to do that and sadly we have more dogs than volunteers to do all that stuff.

Having said that I think the vet could see how stressed and ill this dog was. His back legs were down to the bone with his stress and self harm.
We had appealed for a foster for at least 2 months and nothing was forthcoming. Its just so so sad.

He had 2 homes between birth and 16 weeks old, and then spent the rest of the time in kennels - what sort of life is that ?? sorry cant say anymore than that it just upsets me so much that a dog is so worthless to someone that they just give up on it and chuck in the towel at 16 weeks old !!!

However I do agree- no young dog should suffer this but whats the answer there are so many and just NO homes for them. and more being bred - only tonight someone has posted on the forum asking for help rehoming their accidental litter as they cant get rid of them.....
That is the sad fact....there are just too many needing homes, too many not coping and needing foster homes and the reality is that there isn't the space for them.

In the year that I helped out at our local rescue there were luckily only 2 dogs that they just couldn't rehome and who got worse and worse as time went on. one was a staffy cross - she was a lovely dog to start with, so people friendly. But gradually kennel life got to her. She became more aggressive as she didn't want people to leave but she also became morose Everyone did as much as they could to spend time with her and to try and find her a home, but no-one wanted her It broke my heart when they made the decision, but deep down I knew it was the best thing for her. The other was a wee mongrel who was just too highly strung to cope.

The thing is, its easy to say 'surely something could've been done' but my heart goes out to those that sometimes have to make the decision, because at least they care enough to take the responsibilty.

So for all those who say 'surely something could've been done' sit back and think...is there something you personally can do?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:23 PM
It is very sad that rescue's are left to feel that they have "failed any dog"
Im sure it must be devistating to see a dog go down hill in kennels, then to have to make the decision to then have a dog pts must take its toll on anyone,

I think what hali has said hits the nail on the head for me.
sit back and think...is there something you personally can do?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:25 PM
What a very sad thread, but a pertinent one I think. I saw on the news the other morning how Battersea Dogs Home now has a waiting list for dogs coming in, as they are full to capacity

I help out a small breed rescue (GSD) and it really upsets me that we have a few dogs who no-one seems to want and they are spending month after month in kennels One day I would love to do some fostering, but will have to wait until Ben is at school and then I will feel that I can personally help. At the moment I just homecheck, assess dogs and take/make phone calls for the rescue. I just wish I could do more. I have made a promise to myself though that any pet dog I get in the future will be a rescue.

To get back to the original question though, I don't think there is any one answer or any one solution. Some dogs definitely fare better than others with kennel life, and I do feel that sometimes the rescues hands are tied when a particular dog is not doing at all well in kennels and is passed over time and again by prospective new owners It is completely heartbreaking.

As has already been said, you can't save them all And what a damn shame we are in the situation where we can't.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:35 PM
due to the situation with sasha, I have been trolling the rescue pages today, just in case sol needs a buddy,

I have to say, I have found it very difficult in the bigger rescues to find a dog thats suitable for homing with another dog and young children,
strange as it may seem, the rottie ones and bullmastiff ones have had more suitable dogs,
I do wonder though if this is because they have more foster carer's so the dogs have had more assessment than kennel kept rescues.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
What a very sad thread, but a pertinent one I think. I saw on the news the other morning how Battersea Dogs Home now has a waiting list for dogs coming in, as they are full to capacity

I help out a small breed rescue (GSD) and it really upsets me that we have a few dogs who no-one seems to want and they are spending month after month in kennels One day I would love to do some fostering, but will have to wait until Ben is at school and then I will feel that I can personally help. At the moment I just homecheck, assess dogs and take/make phone calls for the rescue. I just wish I could do more. I have made a promise to myself though that any pet dog I get in the future will be a rescue.

To get back to the original question though, I don't think there is any one answer or any one solution. Some dogs definitely fare better than others with kennel life, and I do feel that sometimes the rescues hands are tied when a particular dog is not doing at all well in kennels and is passed over time and again by prospective new owners It is completely heartbreaking.

As has already been said, you can't save them all And what a damn shame we are in the situation where we can't.
But don't undersell what you do. You are releasing valuable time from others who can spend that time with the dogs.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I can not give a solution.

But this is close to my heart I kinow that and I feel like I failed in the past....although there was nothing I could do.

But when I worked for the RSPCA, a niave thicko I must of been because I really thought that everyday the girls in the kennels took the dogs out for a walk....soon to realise that they walked back without them.

Oh how many times before working there did I pass that place on the bus and thought Oh how sweet.

Once there I realised there was nothing sweet about it.....it all spelt Death.
Adults dogs, young dogs & puppies in arms....7 days and thier time was up.

Often I think back to those days......with a heavy heart
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
due to the situation with sasha, I have been trolling the rescue pages today, just in case sol needs a buddy,

I have to say, I have found it very difficult in the bigger rescues to find a dog thats suitable for homing with another dog and young children,
strange as it may seem, the rottie ones and bullmastiff ones have had more suitable dogs,
I do wonder though if this is because they have more foster carer's so the dogs have had more assessment than kennel kept rescues.
Sometimes I think the bigger rescues are more cautious with their descriptions of dogs - its not always because they know that a dog isn't good with dogs and kids, but because they don't know judging from the information they have (and I think they err on the side of caution, which I suppose is the sensible thing to do).

Also generally, rescues big and small often don't have time to update their websites and they nearly always have far more dogs than appear on their pages.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I start to type, I stop typing. This is so hard. That poor pup.

I was so lucky my darling girl survived two years in kennels.
It must be the hardest thing for rescues to see their charges going downhill and no hope of a home in sight.
I don't know how they cope, but I'm glad they do.
I don't know how long is too long, it must change for each and every dog.

I only wish it wasn't necessary at all.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >