View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Just to report that Gyp is fully recovered.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Just to report that Gyp is fully recovered.
I am so pleased to hear that - thank you for telling us!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Great news
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Just thought I'd update our situation after now using Certifect for the second time - Bailiie has been a little subdued again, I applied the treatment at 7pm ish yesterday. She was fine in herself last night and seemed ok before I went to work this morning. OH has said she was very quiet and didn't really rush to get up this morning, it took a good few minutes for her to leave her bed where normally she's up and doing. I've returned home this evening and although she greeted me like she always does, she wasn't her usual bouncy self. I'm off to the vet tomorrow for her worm treatment so am going to be mentioning this as it seems a little strange that applying a product can have such noticeable effect; practic never reacted in this way
Maybe I should switch back? I'll see what our vet says....
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
This is very interesting, but a hard way to find out from your point of view. I found a tick on my dog today, so I was wondering about products. The tick was dead, so I guess what we use works (it is the cheaper version of Frontline which Pets at Home sell, called Fiproline), and it doesn't seem to cause her any ill effects.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes, it's not pleasant seeing your dog miserable and quite subdued, but I had to do it twice to prove to myself it was the product. I didn't do the vet tonight but we are both going in the morning and I have the pack with the remaining product in it for return. I can't put my Bailiie through any more of this, it's not fair for her to have to be so miserable when she's usually so bubbly.
I'm reverting back to Practic I think, unless my vet advises otherwise but certainly not staying with Certifect.
I have since read a lot of reports on Certifect and the reviews are very mixed but the majority do not recommend. I'm certainly with the majority and I think it affects smaller breeds worse I shan't be recommending it to anyone I know....
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2012, 11:26 PM
I think it depends on the animal. We have 3 cats that get treated with stronghold 2 are fine one is basically knocked out for 8 hours after treatment. However Frontline has become ineffective while stronghold to work well. 2 of the cats a brother and sister have allergic reactions to flea bites so an occasional long sleep for the other one is price we are prepared to pay.

Its unrealistic to expect any drug to be "safe" for all animals within any species for example I had a bad reaction to penicillin once so never have it any more and Bruce Lee died due to an adverse reaction to Asprin (I believe).

I think if you search any flea treatment you will be able to find reports of bad reaction, but then again nobody would ever post "We just treated with Flea-B-Gone and everything was fine".
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
A friend's border collie boy (Dad to my Gem and older brother to my Guy) is at the vet after collapsing with severe neurological signs following treatment with the above yesterday.

Has anyone any experience of using this? I must admit I had never heard of it.
There is evidence and pictures on another site where a dog had Certifect put on him and suffered similar plus the skin blistered and left a huge burn like wound which looks so sore The vet has stated it was due to this product
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
There is evidence and pictures on another site where a dog had Certifect put on him and suffered similar plus the skin blistered and left a huge burn like wound which looks so sore The vet has stated it was due to this product
When we used the Frontline our vet said it was the FIPRONIL that had caused the severe burning, it is not confined to the area where the spot on had been applied but has spread out all around the area. We were led to believe it was uncommon for such a reaction however have found out since it is the reverse in both dogs and cats

We have always believed in preventative measures however after this we are putting nothing on our animals. This type of re-action goes over and beyond what is and is not acceptable
wolfie2012
New Member!
Male 

07-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi, we have a 9 month old rescue Aussie/Border collie mix that we've treated with Certifect for the past 5 months. We've noticed that after every treatment the normally happy/playful puppy becomes lethargic and "mopes" around for about 24 hours. We're strongly considering another product and only used Certifect due to the "Frontline resistance" people warned us about when we first got the dog.

While others have mentioned that not all dogs react the same way to all medications, I've read many similar reactions to this particular medication.

Can anyone offer a equivalent or better alternative to Certifect?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2