register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Are we? Another generalisation! Sorry, couldn't help it!

I think it'd help to have a more open mind when it comes to show breeders/exhibitors. To say show people go wrong because they only breed with looks in mind is a very closed way of looking at things!

It's like me saying all working Springers are ugly, queen anne legged, cripples! How could I say this when I haven't met every single one on the planet? The answer is I can't! I've got proof that the vast majority of them aren't health tested, but that doesn't mean all of them are.......
I have been on both 'sides'

TBH I couldn't give a fig if you said all working springers were cripples and all wsd's were ugly-----it doesn't bother me what anyone thinks. If I wanted to prove anything it would be that any dog I owned could enjoy and be capable of whatever activity I chose to do with it.

The one dog who isn't happens to be show bred but that was bad luck----I think!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I do understand the looks being secondary, though the farm collies my pal has still look very much like collies {I think, what I know about show collies you could write on the back of a stamp }

but in many breeds wouldnt it be so nice to have a nice balanced dog that looks like the breed standard that can also do a days work.
which is kinda what I feel we have with most of the show rotties,

its the byb that seem to be producing dogs that no bits of them are hangging the right way.
Yes to the middle bit.

Also have to remember most dogs are going to the pet market and they aren't always easy if they have a highly developed work ethic. And I'd include some lurchers and JRT's in that.

rune
Elisabeth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Owning a breed that has a pretty distinct seperation (within the breed) and having worked and lived with both I have to say, I perfer my working line.

They just seem to have more energy, more versitility, less health problems, more drive, etc..

I definitely will always have a working line (GSD) in my life.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Agree wholeheartedly with the last bit---but would like to add temperament to the list.

rune
Yes, I kinda of put that into the health category but otherwise, absolutely!

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Are we? Another generalisation! Sorry, couldn't help it!

I think it'd help to have a more open mind when it comes to show breeders/exhibitors. To say show people go wrong because they only breed with looks in mind is a very closed way of looking at things!

It's like me saying all working Springers are ugly, queen anne legged, cripples! How could I say this when I haven't met every single one on the planet? The answer is I can't! I've got proof that the vast majority of them aren't health tested, but that doesn't mean all of them are.......
Rips can I ask (because I find this interesting) a) where did someone suggest that ''show people go wrong because they only breed with looks in mind''? and b) what is the source of your ''proof that the vast majority of them (working type springers) aren't health tested''?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Re the Queen Anne legs.

Where did this Come from?

U see lots of Working terriers & working Spaniels, Now to me it looks like a "weakness" but if these dogs are bred for "purpose & Work" then i dont understand ? is it a weakness? or a result or breeding shorter dogs because they are the better workers ???????

I honestly DONT know!!!! Hence the question!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:06 AM
aesthetically queen anne legs look wrong, we have had a few through rescue with them, doesn't stop them doing anything, the working springers seem to differ by area, you tend to find the larger ones down south, more in the way of cover crop, the further north you go the smaller they get more in the way of close cover brambles etc to get through, they have been bred for the conditions of the area they maybe working.

most people that work their dogs don't give a rats about pedigrees or registration, they'd rather have a dog off a mate with a proven working dog, now the field trial guys well thats a different matter, they're like the show people they just want a dog to win competitions and to put £'s on when they breed
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge
I'm gunna re-post a section from another thread because it's also relevant to this (something in the air today I think).

We researched ESS' and planned Woody for a year yet we ended up with a KC registered, pedigree dog from a KC accredited breeder (first litter) who has an hereditary health defect!

I blame myself every day for this because I feel there was more I should have done to prevent it and that by buying him from them (crappy breeders who I thought were great at the time) I have contributed to something I feel quite strongly about - poor, careless, thoughtless breeding.

So, I would never blame the show breeder and I would never suggest the worker is better in terms of health and longevity.

As for the worked dog being easily disposed of, not to me. If it was up to me I would have Woody last a life time but if he goes early because he's from working stock then there is nothing I personally can do about it.

Show, worker, dual, pedigree, mongrel I don't care, the most important thing to me is that all breeders are focusing solely on the health and longevity of the breed, not the appearance of it.
If no one focused on the appearance of a breed, we would have no breeds.

Appearance is more that aesthetics, its conformation, a breed is bred (working breeds) to fit a criteria... and to ensure a dog can do the job its bred for , someone has to focus on appearance..

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Yes, I kinda of put that into the health category but otherwise, absolutely!

Rips can I ask (because I find this interesting) a) where did someone suggest that ''show people go wrong because they only breed with looks in mind''? and b) what is the source of your ''proof that the vast majority of them (working type springers) aren't health tested''?

You have your own proof Pidge, in Woody, his parents were not health tested... and most people who have been round the " shooting " fields will be able to back that proof up.

I know many people who work and breed both working and pet/farm bred Springer, and I can tell you hand on heart, none health test.

In fact when you do the maths, the working type far out numbers the show Springer... and as the working type is one of thee most over populated breeds in the country, the statistics are rather shocking dont you think.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Re the Queen Anne legs.

U see lots of Working terriers & working Spaniels, Now to me it looks like a "weakness" but if these dogs are bred for "purpose & Work" then i dont understand ? is it a weakness? or a result or breeding shorter dogs because they are the better workers ???????

Queen Anne legs are a deformity, they are not bred for a porpose, a working Springer is meant to work all day on the move, a dog with deformed legs is one that will have a very short career and suffer joint problems.

The only criteria a working breeder will look for is the drive /ability of the dog to work, regardless of its looks or conformation, the fact said dog may be deformed and have a very short working life will be irrelevant... he (breeder) will just use said dog to produce more of the same to carry on doing the job.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Queen Anne legs are a deformity, they are not bred for a porpose, a working Springer is meant to work all day on the move, a dog with deformed legs is one that will have a very short career and suffer joint problems.

The only criteria a working breeder will look for is the drive /ability of the dog to work, regardless of its looks or conformation, the fact said dog may be deformed and have a very short working life will be irrelevant... he (breeder) will just use said dog to produce more of the same to carry on doing the job.
So thats how its got in the lines then?

That they could be Exceptional workers/ winners, so are used/ bred from?

How long a "working" career is a Queen Anne legs dog expected to have? anyone know?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
aesthetically queen anne legs look wrong, we have had a few through rescue with them, doesn't stop them doing anything, the working springers seem to differ by area, you tend to find the larger ones down south, more in the way of cover crop, the further north you go the smaller they get more in the way of close cover brambles etc to get through, they have been bred for the conditions of the area they maybe working.

most people that work their dogs don't give a rats about pedigrees or registration, they'd rather have a dog off a mate with a proven working dog, now the field trial guys well thats a different matter, they're like the show people they just want a dog to win competitions and to put £'s on when they breed

Have you found in your Career that Queens Annes legs, cut a career Short?
Are they Better /worse/ no difference at working than Straight legged springers?
Do the QA legs occur only in the Shorter dogs, bred for close cover or are they also in the Taller Lines (ie does one crop up occassionly in the taller lines)

Do these dogs get bred from?

Im geniunely Interested
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Re the Queen Anne legs.

At one point Springers were VERY large, Im told that breeding for size alone bought in the queen anne front, through "miniaturising" them. This is also evident in "miniature Jack Russells" I havent ever seen a Patterdale/Border/Lakie or JR working type with these legs, except a couple very small Jacks out Ratting.
Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »