View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I didn't think there was any definitive evidence showing that badgers are the cause of the spread of tb in cattle? I could be wrong though, it was a while ago I heard this at a conference
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I still believe that intensive farming is to blame for the rise in TB!

How come when cows were kept more naturally and therefore were healthier, there wasn't more TB? Cows and Badgers have been living alongside each other for centuries with no problems.

They are just being used as a Scapegoat and it is totally out of order in my opinion!!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 07:57 PM
yes its poor farming practices that are to blame for bTB...but the farmers want their scape goat .......

‘I think the most interesting observation was made to me by a senior politician who said, “fine John we accept your science, but we have to offer the farmers a carrot. And the only carrot we can possibly give them is culling badgers”.’
Professor John Bourne
(Chair of the Independent Scientific Group (ISG) on bTB)

http://www.chrispackham.co.uk/
spot
Dogsey Veteran

26-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
most "road kill" badgers if you look over their body have been shot, which i dont agree with personally, if your going to shoot them at least dont dump them in the road
Unfortunatley in many areas not only have the badgers been shot but also have bite marks, tares in the skin and damage that would be inflicted by dogs they may well have been run over on purpose to try and hide these wounds.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

26-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
I still believe that intensive farming is to blame for the rise in TB!

How come when cows were kept more naturally and therefore were healthier, there wasn't more TB? Cows and Badgers have been living alongside each other for centuries with no problems.

They are just being used as a Scapegoat and it is totally out of order in my opinion!!
Couldnt agree more! Glad to see some of the 'better' supermarkets are now advertising that they will not be selling milk from the culling areas.

I thought it very telling last night on news night when one of the 'defentants' of the cull WOULD not answer where he wanted the cull stopped - basically kill em all mentality.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2012, 10:57 AM
An estimated 75,000 cows are culled each year for not carrying calf, 50,000 for having mastitis, 25,000 for being lame - 20,000 for bTB.

40,000 badgers are to be culled over the next four years in the West Gloucestershire and West Somerset areas. These are trial areas.

Badgers, along with dogs, cats, foxes, sheep, deer and cattle can carry TB, a bacterium which can cross the species barrier.

Only a few cases of humans catching TB from animals were reported in the last decade. A number dramtically reduced since the pasteurisation of milk and immunisation.

A vaccine for immunisation in cows and badgers exists. EU law doesn't allow the vaccinating of cattle for bTB. The Welsh Government recently decided against a cull in favour of vaccinating badgers.

We are scientifically unsure if a badger cull will reduce the occurrence of bTB.

For the dairy farmers involved this all comes down to money and profits, not cattle welfare. The poor farming standards have been attributed to disease being more easily spread in dairy farms.

I like badgers.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Couldnt agree more! Glad to see some of the 'better' supermarkets are now advertising that they will not be selling milk from the culling areas.

I thought it very telling last night on news night when one of the 'defentants' of the cull WOULD not answer where he wanted the cull stopped - basically kill em all mentality.

Of the 100 000 people who will sign the petition, if the cull continues - how many of them will stop buying dairy?

Basically, badgers are being culled for anyone who buys dairy in any form - maybe that will be a step too far for some though?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
Of the 100 000 people who will sign the petition, if the cull continues - how many of them will stop buying dairy?

Basically, badgers are being culled for anyone who buys dairy in any form - maybe that will be a step too far for some though?
The same amount who would refuse medical treatment on the grounds its been tested on animals!! So basically NONE!

All mouth and no action with many. Its ok as long as it doesnt affect me like!!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post

i know a lot of people are talking about boycotting dairy they are so upset about the cull, tbh ive been using dairy alternatives for years..i drink Alpro unsweetened soya milk its definately the best soya milk going and its eco-friendly. Alpro yoghurts are lovely... very fruity, their desserts are also really delicious, theyve just brought out an Almond milk ive been told its lovely but ive not found anyone who stocks it near me :/
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Mention badgers to any farmer here in southern Ireland and you need to take cover.

Ignorance and worse. So hostile and violent

I see many on the road also. No idea if they are genuine road kill, although the way folk drive in rural Ireland

I had a cat killed by a badger but bear no grudges. The sett was way too near the house and as they are protected...I think there was a cull here, very cruelly done.

Was there not a research finding way back that it was the cattle giving the badgers TB
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4