Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Kennel Club

This is probably a stupid question, in fact I'm 99% sure it's a stupid question, but I want to check.

If a breed isn't listed on The Kennel Club website does that mean it's not recognised as an official breed? I ask because I have to build a small website for my end of course assessment with the OU and I'm doing it on Thai Ridgebacks. I just want to make sure I'd be right in saying that they aren't yet recognised by the Kennel Club.

Thanks
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Yes you are right, they are not reconised by the kennel club
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2006, 03:14 PM
yes you are right TR are`nt recognised by the KC , but it does not mean they are not an official breed , it is one of the purest breeds in history going back 100`s of yrs.........
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2006, 07:24 PM
It's an interesting question. If it is not recognised by your Country's "official" Kennel Club, then it is not a breed in those terms - only!
The UK Kennel Club stands alone and is not part of the FCI which many European Countries and Ireland do belong to, so there is no pressure to accept "foreign" or previously unrecognised breeds as, I would guess, there has not been any pressure on them to bring them into the mainstream showing scene, for example. Even in Ireland we have breeds not recognised in the UK which can be registered with the Irish Kennel Club partly due to different breed developments over here and partly to fall in line with FCI, so they schedule the appropriate "breeds" in shows.
To my mind, a "breed" is a recognisable type of dog with particular characteristics that breeds true over a number of generations. If the home kennel club doesn't recognise it, that does not necessarily detract from it as a breed as such but it will limit activities to those not run under KC rules, and owners will not be able to benefit in any other way from their KC's services.
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2006, 07:36 PM
im lost, does this mean if your dog is not K C reg then its a mongral even if its full blood so to speak ? and they have other papers?
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy
It's an interesting question. If it is not recognised by your Country's "official" Kennel Club, then it is not a breed in those terms - only!
The UK Kennel Club stands alone and is not part of the FCI which many European Countries and Ireland do belong to, so there is no pressure to accept "foreign" or previously unrecognised breeds as, I would guess, there has not been any pressure on them to bring them into the mainstream showing scene, for example. Even in Ireland we have breeds not recognised in the UK which can be registered with the Irish Kennel Club partly due to different breed developments over here and partly to fall in line with FCI, so they schedule the appropriate "breeds" in shows.
To my mind, a "breed" is a recognisable type of dog with particular characteristics that breeds true over a number of generations. If the home kennel club doesn't recognise it, that does not necessarily detract from it as a breed as such but it will limit activities to those not run under KC rules, and owners will not be able to benefit in any other way from their KC's services.

Exactly right and I couldn't of put it better myself.

Just because a breed isn't recognised by the UK KC doesn't mean its a mongrel - far from it.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 08:25 AM
interesting approach the KC have, I had to fight to get spring recognised as a kelpie on the working register - and yet they used a kelpie puppy on the front of a recent publication!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by linds1917
im lost, does this mean if your dog is not K C reg then its a mongral even if its full blood so to speak ? and they have other papers?
If you are talking about KC registration rather than KC recognition then, if your dog is pure-bred (i.e. all of its antecedents were of the same breed) then it is a pure-bred - just not KC registered.

If you have a breed that is not recognized by the KC then, similarly, it does not automatically follow that it is a 'mongrel'. There are many breeds which are recognized by registries other than the KC - eg the FCI which recognizes many breeds which do not have KC recognition due to rarity, failure to breed to type, or other criteria.
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys

Until I got Giz I'd never heard of TRDs. Now if I could afford a pedigree and was looking for another dog, I'd deffinately try and get one, regardless of whether the KC recognise them.
TRD are a very pure breed and haven't been out of their own country for very long. Giz on the other hand isn't very pure

The FCI has them under group 5 and lists them as a 'primitive type hunting dog' and a 'companion dog'. Don't know about hunting, but Giz is a great companion