Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 01:51 PM

Fence question

We have 6 foot fence panels up, but next door neighbours have built a decking area(it is like a stage!) that is raised & if as I think they will put their table & chairs on it they could see over our fence
My question is can I put anything on top of my fence?

Any ideas gratfully received
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 02:01 PM
You could put a trellis up along the top either a straight one or a wavy one which will give you a bit more privacy
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Not sure if it's 'legal' but we had a 6' fence between our garden and neighbour and we added an 18" trellis on top, never had any complaints as it didn't really block out the light - well not until my clematis grew all over it.....lol.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Not sure if it's 'legal' but we had a 6' fence between our garden and neighbour and we added an 18" trellis on top, never had any complaints as it didn't really block out the light - well not until my clematis grew all over it.....lol.
hhMM! that is a thought............OH home tomorrow & wont be best pleased when he sees it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I also thought you are allowed to put trellis up and grow creeping plants over it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I think you should ask with your neighbours first before you add anything on top of a 6ft fence. The reason I say this is that my next door neighbour used to have a bit of a feud with the people that lived in our house.

Next door man is 6 ft + and the previous occupants used to complain that he was looking over the top of their fence all of the time. They asked our neighbours to put a taller fence up than was there (6ft). Our neighbour contacted the council and were told that they are not allowed to put anything up above 6 ft, she asked about trelis and they told her not even trellis. The previous occupants then put up a 6ft fence panel in our garden but mounted it at next doors decking level, thus making it over 6ft. It looks really strange from their side so maybe they only told me that because they wanted me to take it down! Nothing more has been said but I wonder if we will be asked to remove it if next door ever sell. If your neighbours do not object though I don't see what harm it would do. It would be a shame to go to the time and expense of putting up trellis if you then find it has to be taken down.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 03:25 PM
6 ft 6" (2 metres) is the maximum height you can legally put up without planning permission. This from the floor up. So as long as the trellis is not exceeding 6 inches that would be fine.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
6 ft 6" is the maximum height you can legally put up without planning permission. This from the floor up.
That's very interesting Megan as my neighbour definately told me 6ft, so either she misheard what the council said to her or she thinks I will feel bad and take the fence down! She did tell me this in her conversation about the people who used to live in our house years ago who she was very good friends with and who used to cut her side of the hedge as well when they did theirs and also informed them when they were having a bbq / party etc!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Whilst there is a limit on structures, unless the law has changed recently, I don't think there is a limit on plants - I think you could plant some fast growing conifers (but I doubt this would make you popular with your next door neighbours!)
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2007, 04:10 PM
You can put up rear fencing up to 2m, but I'd check with your local council first before adding anything to the top of your existing fence.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >