View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Where I walk the dogs most of the time there are bins all around the carpark, so scooping and binning is easy - if they have a dodgy tummy, I must admit I do leave it But I do always take bags everywhere with me and like most of yours, neither of mine foul on pavements.

But if we do go walking in any places that are not so dog friendly i.e. bins, I do get put off at the thought of having to carry bags back to the car and drive home with them. I even get the scented ones, but those of you with big dogs will know just how much they can do in one go - if Satch did go on pavements, they'd crack!

I have been known to put the full bags in the pockets of my Hi-Vis jacket and take them home, but if the councils are going to fine for dog fouling, shouldn't they also provide bins? I mean, there are signs everywhere around our roads to discourage dog fouling, but unless you happen to be quite close to home, who's going to carry these full bags everywhere if they don't provide bins - there are no dog poo specific bins anywhere on the roads around me. Some people will carry them all the way home, as I've done on occassion, but most people will go for the easy option and leave it.

It just makes me wonder - if they fine but don't provide bins, is it just another tax? Is it really for the benefit of the community?

I totally agree with everyone about broken glass though, not to mention needles, condoms and chewing gum - none of which biodegrade, and as horrid as dog poo is, at least it eventually goes away.

Becs
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:01 PM
god surely it would have been easier to just pick the poo up !!! LOL

dani
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:03 PM
lol yeah!

Originally Posted by BRUNDOG
They have little sections at Linlinthgow near the loch area and its actual special coredoned off zones where you can let your dog go and do his business and you dont pick it up - as its just one giant doggy loo
Does someone come along and clean it up then? Just imagining this mass off dog poo! lol
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:06 PM
no I think they put down a special treatment and they just turn the earth over and it decomposes - you know like those doggie poo bins that u get in pets at hme that you bury in the ground - well I think its like that only a massive one - doesnt even stink that bad - they are about 3meters squared- so really just big enough to let the dog go in their poo and come out again - all fenced off with a gate - so basically no chance of you accidentally finding your way into tht zone and falling into a mountain of dog poo LOL LOL

dani
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I think thats a really good idea!
Is it a trial thing?
Shame they don't have more of them around!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:13 PM
dont think so - the last time I was there was just after we got bruno about 2 years ago - and they were well established or so it seemed - good idea tho

Its just that though - like aileen said the council have collected some ridiculous amoutn of money in fines for dog fouling but havent actually introduced any dog bins etc etc

ridiculous

Becs - I agree about the whole carrying it around with you - thats why its so annoying if you dont have many bins. NOthing worse than a warm little bag that has to either be carried daintily or put in ur pocket !! YUK !!

A few times I have actually left the bag at the end of the park - did our lap of the park etc etc and then returned for bag on way home - and on the odd occasion have had to chuck it in someones wheelie bin ( although I do feel guilty for doing that !!) but its better that than leaving it on the grass !!

the things we do for them huh - it is disgusting but more disgusting having to wipe it off your shoes i think !!!

dani

dani
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Blackie always goes into the bushes, right underneath them, he stands on one back leg so that he can get close, I defiantly wouldn't go there to pick it up, probably poke an eye out! I don't agree with letting your dog foul on play/park areas etc. But have no probs in long grass, as the law states that it is ok if your dog fouls on uncut grass, so our council the nasty s*ds have gone around and purposely cut down all the natural long grass. And I agree it is nasty when you walk in it, but, it is a natural biodegrable fertilizer and I have never heard of anyone losing there sight because of dog fouling - that is the main reason you are asked to pick it up for. I may be wrong in this department and I apologise if you know anyone that it has happened to.

And GLASS! often we have had to turn around or cross over the road because of it. Even when I have been out on my scooter I have had to make long detoures to avoid the stuff.

Ian
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:12 PM
I agree that everyone should pick up after their dog in public places and that bins must be provided. Where we walk alot in a remote forest near me I am always tempted to pick up after them there too if it is too near the trail although they tend to run off into the undergrowth to go...lol...I would definitly pick up if it is near the trail if there was a bin but I don't want to carry it all the way on the walk and then drive home with it...lol Whereever I am though where there is always alot of public I always pick up.

I have to say the crisp packet is a bit extream...lol...I would never fit one of my dogs logs in a crisp packet, you are lucky yours are smaller!

One thing that irritated me the other day though was I was picking up after one of my dogs and some little kids were walking by and as I was picking up they dropped loads of sweet wrappers and I'm thinking ok so I am picking up my dogs **** so you brats don't step in it and cry and here you are throwing your damn litter around...lol...I should have made them pick up their litter and my dog ****! hehehe
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Mary...

Where were you when I needed a bag?!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2005, 11:42 PM
By keeping to a strict feeding time (6 pm), I seem to have managed to get The Boys into a fairly regular timetable - they "go" after dinner (occasionally early morning) - so they're "empty" when we go out.

Just in case, there are scoopers in the car at all times, and usually one in my pocket. They make good hats if it comes on to rain.

Snorri
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »