Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2007, 09:48 AM

Hello from Harry

Hi,

Some of you may remember reading that our 14 month old Airedale died suddenly in July. It was a terrible shock and we have still not really got over it. However, we heard last week about an old Airedale boy needing a new home urgently due to a divorce/house move. We were told he was in good health other than achy legs, lived with cats and 2 other dogs and had grown up with children. We went to meet him and he seemed lovely, a real gentle giant who wants nothing more than lots of ear rubs and attention.

We had a good chat and decided that maybe it was meant to be. Dales don't come up for rescue too often (lucky for them). He was about 20 miles from us. His KC name is the name of our local pub(!) and his birthday is the same as Oscar's best doggy pal. Maybe we were just meant to help. We know we may not have him for a long while, but what time he has we are determined will be happy for him.

He seems to have settled very well. He was unsettled the first night as expected, but has slept through every night since. He's great with the cat and the children, and everyone else we've met (lots of people have been calling in to meet him!). He loves his walks. He's never been allowed off lead so we won't risk it, but we got him a strong, long flexi lead and he loves it. He prances about like a puppy when he's out. All in all he seems wonderful and he has certainly brought some sunshine back to our lives.

He has been outside every day to sit or lie by the plantpot containing Oscar's ashes, almost as if he is saying thank you to him for helping him find a new home.

Here are some photos of Harry. How could we not help him out?

Kate x

boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Awwwwwwww what a great story and happy days for you all.Total respect by the way bet your all bursting with joy and so you should be,all the best from us,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 09:57 AM
aw he's lovely!!! Bless him, he looks at home already... So pleased for you xxxxx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

03-10-2007, 10:01 AM
He lkooks a big soft and very contented boy. Think you were meant for each other. Lovely pics and thanks for sharing these and his story.

Have a Happy Life Harry.
mforster85
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
bless he looks soo contented!
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Bless - he looks so at home and content! May you enjoy many happy times with him - Such a lovely story with the pics! Welcome Harry!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 11:25 AM
What a very moving post, I found it incredibly touching. It is heart-warming to know that something good has come out of this tragedy.

I agree, it certainly sounds as though it was fate! Love the fact his KC name is the same as your local lol

He is gorgeous, so wonderful to know he has a kind, knowledgable home where he can be treasured for the rest of his days.

I am thrilled for you all. Thanks for posting about him, made me feel warm inside!!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
what a lovely and very touching post , wishing you all the very best with your new dog xdk
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2007, 06:16 PM
That is SOOOOO lovely-i am thrilled for you all
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 06:17 PM
What a lovely boy, he certainly doesn't look like an oldie.

There is something very special about older dogs, they are so worldly. Both my daughter and myself have given homes to older dogs in the past and, as you pointed out, we don't have them as long, but what lovely times we have with them. My daughter took on a 13 yr old dog and had him 2 yrs, I took on a 10 yr old and had him nearly 5 yrs. Since then I have taken other older dogs, they are so easy to live with - give me an older dog anytime!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >