View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RinTinTin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Two years ago I had never heard of crates never mind actually used one - and this is after thirty years of dog ownership. Then came our little terrier bitch, a year old rescue who persistently soiled at night.

Getting up in the night and early morning availed us nothing - she would hold on and then run back into the house to perform, the little madam. So a crate it was.

Used it closed at night for 6 months with great success but it is still in daily use (always open) as she loves her little palace and can store her own - and the other dogs' - treasures there at will.

BTW - we didn't need any 'crate training' either -she loved it at first sight and never needed any encouragement to use it.

The GSD also has a crate for travelling - similarly loved - and both come in handy when we go on holiday as we can reassure cottage owners that both dogs can be crated overnight if required - although it never has been yet.

Cages or dens? All a matter of perspective.
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2007, 11:19 AM
i was against creating when i 1st got Tia but now i like the idea.
tia goes in the crate whilst we are out, she just goes in there and sleeps. it has also helped save my wood work as when she was not created whist we were out she would chew like mad.
at night she sleeps in her own bed upstaurs with us so she isnt in her crate all day and night.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

07-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I have one for Loki and use it for the same reason as Lucky Star - Loki taking fits. I also put her in it when I go out (I am never out that long). She never goes into it when I am at home, with the odd exception! Loki will go into it when she sees me put on my jacket and walk into the living room - she will follow me and when I open the door, she walks into it and lies down The parrots think she is one of them
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:51 PM
I like crate training. IMO its the best way to go about training a pup. Chance has a crate that he is in when Im not paying attention to him or when Im gone. But I do like to get my dogs to where they can come out of the cage and have the run of the house. Morgan does not have a crate and hasnt for years. However, there are some dogs that just cant control themselves and require the crate. I think its best for their safety and for the sanity of the owners.
Brian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I've never crated mine, I don't like the idea of caging any animal never mind dogs
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Used correctly I think they are brilliant - my dogs have always used their crates as dens and love to sleep in them. It is there own 'hideaway'.

When I got Ozzy - Brandy used to always try and sit in the crate instead of him, he would often be ousted out of it by her and she was so tall she had to sit hunched up inside but she just adored being in it!!!!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Taken from another thread, it seems there are some with very strong views on this subject. Some have never experienced crating and some have had years of experience with crating dogs, for various reasons.

What are your views on crating ???

I'll start.

My personal view is that my dog's crates are their beds. They go to them freely, when they please, for peace, a rest, a chew, whatever, it is their place, no-one elses. Whe I go out, or at night, I crate them. Why, because I feel that when they are crated, I know they are safe and cannot get into mischief. God forbid anyone broke into my home, my dogs won't accidentaly be let out. It also helped with toilet training in the early days, and some training, using the crate for time out.

Now, as my dogs are passed those things, their crates are their own little pieces of space, that is private to them. (my bitch is in her crate as we speak, on her back, upside down, fast asleep )

i agree i have always used crates since i started getting my dogs, its there bed they safe spot and helped wth crate traning fo the car as they are not scared of them and feel safe. the doors are always open and i have other beds all over te house for them but they like there crates.

it is there choice to use them except in the car as it is safty first. sorry i think they are he best thing for my dogs
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I think crates are useful so that the dog has his/her own den where they can't be disturbed. However I don't agree with closed crates, such a shame they were designed with doors. Unfortunately they are too open to abuse Transport is the only time we'd use a closed crate.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 07:51 PM
As others have said, crates like anything else, can be open to abuse.

I found the crate brilliant for house training, but as soon as she was OK to leave overnight without any accidents, the crate door was left open.

I never lock her in it, she uses it like her den.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 08:15 AM
We only locked Max in his overnight when we were toilet training, otherwise (as we found out) he didn't sleep much, ran all over the kitchen and poo'd and wee'd everywhere.

We also shut him in it at night when we go camping, as I think he's more secure.

Otherwise, the door was always open for him to go and sit/sleep in.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >