View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Oh right, i thought i might be doing something wrong. Ill try leaving it down 10-15 mins tomorrow and see how that works. Ill keep you updated. Thanks
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
With this weather dogs eat less. But you can make them eat by adding a few drops off vegetable oil on their food.

Works mirakles
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I just cracked. I know i shouldnt of, but she has been here a week today and she hasnt eaten much at all and yesterday she didnt touch her food at all. So i just gave her some of that webbox stuff, she didnt even want that, but i did manage to talk her into it. Im stuck on this one, i think she is so used to eating human food, im not sure im ever goning to be able to change it. Im going to get some natures menu in a bit to see if she will eat that.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Don't feel guilty Sara - we know how those appealing eyes can melt the sternest resolve

But, for her sake, harden your heart. Don't 'talk her into' eating. Put the food down, take it up after 15 minutes. Repeat until she eats what is provided when it is provided.

Get your Nature's Menu. If she turns her nose up at it pick it up and give her nothing more until next mealtime. Then put the Nature's Menu down again. Repeat until she eats it. Don't allow her to dictate what she eats and when she eats. She is a dog - if she is hungry she will eat anything (including cat poo, rotting road kill, fruit, grass, vegetables, rotten eggs, mouldy bones, anything!)

If you are at all concerned that it may be a medical problem then you should consult your vet. If she is physically fit then going without food for 2-3 days will not hurt her.

If you give in you will find yourself trying to tempt her to eat by offering all sorts of things - and she will refuse them in hopes of ever better offerings. It is a vicious circle which must be broken.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 11:16 AM
i would be very surprised if she didnt eat the natures menu or nature diet as it has a very big smell - I found Bruno couldnt resist it

good luck
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Maybe some tinned mackerel or similar mixed into her dried food might entice her (in sunflower oil rather than brine & drain some of the oil away). Fish usually gets them interested. I find that a large meal can also be off-putting, maybe try smaller amounts at first.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I disagree, if you add all sorts of tasty morsels you will create a fussy dog that will not eat anything unless you fiddle about with it first.

Perhaps it's this weather that has got her off her food. Don't fuss, she'll eat when she's ready, but please don't play ''coax me a little'', you will be the loser in the end, and you will spend your life creating menus for the dog.

Dawn R.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2006, 08:10 AM
OK I know this sounds completely ridiculous, and I shouldn't be pandering to his fussiness, but I have found that when I'm putting his dinner in his bowl if I go "ooh yummy yummy" and pretend to eat some of his food, it gets him all excited about the food and he eats it straight away!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Nursey
I would agree that having your bitch checked over by your vet is a good idea.

Then assuming she gets a clean bill of health, I'd get tough. Absolutely no faffing about with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I would choose the food I wanted her to eat, and I'd put it down to her at the times I wanted her to have it. If she didn't eat it within 20 minutes, I would take it away. I'd put it down again at the next mealtime, not before, and remove it if not eaten within the 20 minutes.

Healthy dogs will not starve themselves, I promise. It will need for you to be very very determined though, you would have to prove to her that you are more determined than her. It won't be easy. If she can get you to pander to her whims she will. Don't make life difficult for your self. Who's the boss, you or her?

Good luck

Dawn R.
I absolutely agree here, Zuki had to have a diet change a short time after getting her because she was getting a bad tummy, she refused to eat for the first few days then hunger got the better of her, now she accepts it as what she gets and thats it. Good luck
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 10:49 AM
please don't take offence to this post, but I have to laugh when you are all taking about a dog being 'spoiled' on human food.
Just take a second or two, and ask yourself what 'human food' actually is.

To me the answer is anything that is processed or made by humans and doesn't occur naturally. We don't (or shouldn't be) eating alot of this, eg. pot noodle and we should be eating lots of fresh natural (cooked or raw) foods, veg, meat, rice/potatoes etc etc. This is not really 'human' food, it is food grown in the earth for an animal that can eat it. So, in essence, 'human' MADE food, is also actually processed dog food.
Also the word 'spoiled' is a negative term, and makes me think of a fat dog. My dogs are fed naturally, fresh meat, cooked or raw, veg and rice/oats/whatever I am having. They are at a perfect weight, and I find it very easy to either give them a little more, or a little less.
Some dogs are so used to eating commercial that they don't want to or can't eat fresh, natural foods. A dog that can eat these good foods, I feel, should be given it, as the benefits are great, like a human eating good fresh natural foods experience. There is nothing 'spoiling' about feeding good food provided by nature.

My opinion (and some others too!) only.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >