View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:47 PM
May I ask what is beet pulp? What makes it such a bad thing?

Please excuse my ignorance!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:51 PM
It is not a bad thing

It is the residue of the sugar beet industry and is source of fibre and, more importantly, FOS = fructo oligosaccharides, which are a valuable source of prebiotics for gut flora health.

Prebiotics have a synergistic effect with probiotics.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is not a bad thing

It is the residue of the sugar beet industry and is source of fibre and, more importantly, FOS = fructo oligosaccharides, which are a valuable source of prebiotics for gut flora health.

Prebiotics have a synergistic effect with probiotics.
I see, so technically beet pulp in foods would have no effect on dogs..or perhaps even good effects, rather than causing problems?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Okies..im not as good as SB...but here goes

Complete pet food for puppies from 6 weeks to 24 months.

Scary thought, giving this carp to a 6 week old pup!

Available in: 1kg e, 6kg e, 12.5 kg
Composition
Cereals (25% ), Hmmmm...dogs dont need cereals...be nice if they could tell us exactly what the cereals are...most likely be the cheapest they can get at the point of manufactuer!
Meat and animal derivatives ( 26% meat in the chunk, 4% beef in the brown kernels), So again, doesnt tell me exactly what is in this. Could be a mix of different species, and different body parts. Tis only 4% beef
Vegetable protein extracts, which is what exactly?

Oils & fats, from what source?
Various sugars, do dogs need sugar?
Derivatives of vegetable origin, scrappings from that factory floor?
Minerals, which?
Vegetables ( 4% vegetable in the green & yellow kernels). what veg exactly...could be good veg, could be bad veg. Probs not Birds eye Petis pois tho!
With Colourants, antioxidants and preservatives. why does the dog need its food coloured? they are supposed to be colour blind! Smarties and Skittles spring to mind!

IU/kg: Vit A: 24 000 ; Vit D3: 1 400 ; Vit E: 110
mg/kg: Fe(E1): 100 ; I(E2): 2.5 ; Cu(E4): 11 ;
Mn(E5): 7.5 ; Zn(E6): 180 ; Se(E: 0.24.
With colourants, antioxidants and preservatives
Analytical Constituents
Protein 28.0%
Fat content 12.0%
Crude ash 8.0%
Crude fibres 2.0%
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Pedigree Complete Junior Poultry & Rice

Ingredients:
Grains (min. 4% rice, min 4% maize), So what is the rest. Maize IME is not a good chouce for dogs
meat and animal by-products (incl. min. 4% chicken), By products...so again absolutely anything they can lay their hands on cheaply at the point of manufactuer!
oils and fats (min. 0.6% fish oil), woo hoo 0.6%! what is the rest of the oil and fat?
vegetable protein extracts, from what source? vegetable by-products (min. 4% sugar beet pulp), what is the rest of it?
minerals. whch?
Supplemented with:
Vitamin A (9,700 IU / kg), vitamin D3 (970 IU / kg), vitamin E (190 mg / kg), copper as copper (II)-sulphate (12 mg / kg), glucosamine (150 mg / kg) , eicosapentaenoic acid and docosapentaenoic acid (1,600 mg / kg). With antioxidants (BHA, BHT, propyl gallate) and EC additives. what additives?

I would not feed either of these foods (the thought of Kerrie on Bakers...shudder...she is a enough of a nutter)

The thing with these (and many like them) is that the label does not tell the consumer the full story. Animal derivatives/by products covers a whole host of sins, can be anything combo of parts/animals.

Plus as I have said (I think...my brain doesnt work too well on a wednesday!) they are not cheap, you have to feed an awful lot to fill the dog, and then it is carp. In many dogs, these foods can cause behavioural problems (hell id be wired if I ate nothing but Bakers)

Many foods out there for similar price that are much better than these!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I see, so technically beet pulp in foods would have no effect on dogs..or perhaps even good effects, rather than causing problems?
I am sure there are dogs that have intolerances to SBP just like anything else, but far from being JUST a filler (as some people consider) it does have a useful purpose.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Pedigree Complete Junior Poultry & Rice

Ingredients:
Grains (min. 4% rice, min 4% maize), So what is the rest. Maize IME is not a good chouce for dogs
meat and animal by-products (incl. min. 4% chicken), By products...so again absolutely anything they can lay their hands on cheaply at the point of manufactuer!
oils and fats (min. 0.6% fish oil), woo hoo 0.6%! what is the rest of the oil and fat?
vegetable protein extracts, from what source? vegetable by-products (min. 4% sugar beet pulp), what is the rest of it?
minerals. whch?
Supplemented with:
Vitamin A (9,700 IU / kg), vitamin D3 (970 IU / kg), vitamin E (190 mg / kg), copper as copper (II)-sulphate (12 mg / kg), glucosamine (150 mg / kg) , eicosapentaenoic acid and docosapentaenoic acid (1,600 mg / kg). With antioxidants (BHA, BHT, propyl gallate) and EC additives. what additives?

I would not feed either of these foods (the thought of Kerrie on Bakers...shudder...she is a enough of a nutter)

The thing with these (and many like them) is that the label does not tell the consumer the full story. Animal derivatives/by products covers a whole host of sins, can be anything combo of parts/animals.

Plus as I have said (I think...my brain doesnt work too well on a wednesday!) they are not cheap, you have to feed an awful lot to fill the dog, and then it is carp. In many dogs, these foods can cause behavioural problems (hell id be wired if I ate nothing but Bakers)

Many foods out there for similar price that are much better than these!
There is nothing intrinsically wrong in animal by products, they are mostly the stuff left over from what humans eat, ie the stuff we are too squeamish to eat!

Vegetable protein is usually soya, not always.

I would not choose to feed this food however.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Okies..im not as good as SB...but here goes

Complete pet food for puppies from 6 weeks to 24 months.

Scary thought, giving this carp to a 6 week old pup!

Available in: 1kg e, 6kg e, 12.5 kg
Composition
Cereals (25% ), Hmmmm...dogs dont need cereals...be nice if they could tell us exactly what the cereals are...most likely be the cheapest they can get at the point of manufactuer!
Meat and animal derivatives ( 26% meat in the chunk, 4% beef in the brown kernels), So again, doesnt tell me exactly what is in this. Could be a mix of different species, and different body parts. Tis only 4% beef
Vegetable protein extracts, which is what exactly?

Oils & fats, from what source?
Various sugars, do dogs need sugar?
Derivatives of vegetable origin, scrappings from that factory floor?
Minerals, which?
Vegetables ( 4% vegetable in the green & yellow kernels). what veg exactly...could be good veg, could be bad veg. Probs not Birds eye Petis pois tho!
With Colourants, antioxidants and preservatives. why does the dog need its food coloured? they are supposed to be colour blind! Smarties and Skittles spring to mind!

IU/kg: Vit A: 24 000 ; Vit D3: 1 400 ; Vit E: 110
mg/kg: Fe(E1): 100 ; I(E2): 2.5 ; Cu(E4): 11 ;
Mn(E5): 7.5 ; Zn(E6): 180 ; Se(E: 0.24.
With colourants, antioxidants and preservatives
Analytical Constituents
Protein 28.0%
Fat content 12.0%
Crude ash 8.0%
Crude fibres 2.0%
I am not sure there are GOOD or BAD vegetables apart from soya beans for dogs which is the usual source of protein or lupins, etc.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I am sure there are dogs that have intolerances to SBP just like anything else, but far from being JUST a filler (as some people consider) it does have a useful purpose.
Thank-you for clearing that up for me
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:40 PM
TBF pippam it does not sound as though your dog has changed at ALL and the food is not a major factor as you complained of this dog's behaviour ever since you brought her home.

You have had a great deal of advice on training and diet and yet have had problems over several months.

Whilst the food MAY be a factor, I cannot remember how many different foods she has been on?

Sums up what I was going to say!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >