Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:08 AM

What has happened to our wildlife.

I was thinking about this the other day, more and more times it seems that there are more animals living in the Uk that shouldn't be here, and are putting a strain on the wildlife already here, mainly resources, like space or food, or by being predators to animals already here. Some of the animals seem to adapt into our wildlife ecosystem without so much of a problem, but we have others like the Sika deer who are breeding with our deers, which is causing a problem. And should anything be done to stop this, or should we leave it and see if it sorts itself out? Personally I think that something should be tackled, but what, is there any way of preventing these animals breeding, a cull of animals may also have a affect on the ecosystem, but many of these animals are here because of mans mistakes, should man be monitoring these animals and take some sort of affect to reduce numbers? What do you think.

I've also found a site which lists alien animals in the uk, some of them I think are surprising, and I don't think that I've ever seen a wild Gerbil, but it wouldn't surprise me if people are releasing their pets either.

http://my.opera.com/Ukwildlife/blog/...ive-wildlife-2
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Gosh! I knew about some but wouldn't have thought the list was that long!! Some of them are surprising... I wouldn't have thought that the reptiles could successfully survive here because of the climate but I guess we now need to take into account global warming!

I think we should take responsibility. It's our fault they're here and if we want to protect our native wildlife then we have to do something! Not sure what though. It would be hard to rid the country of alien species if they have become established and spread from the point of origin. Deer and mammals maybe but the rest would be rather difficult!!!

Sarah xoxox
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I've been thinking about this a bit more yesterday, as some of our wildlife is really struggling because man made the mistake to mess with nature, and I feel that a outright cull would be wrong, as they are here because of us, and I only believe that a animal should be hunted if its in pain, diseased, for food, or to protect livestock, and then in the most humane way possible, but then I was thinking haven't we really got as much responsibility to our wildlife as farmers do to livestock?

I have been thinking of some ways to reduce numbers though, and contraception is one, either through neutering/implants/medication, if any of them would be fesable, I can't imagine the goverment footing up the bill for this though.

I've also thought about rounding some up and sending them back to where they originated, but this may cause problems for the animals, stress, and they may not be able to find a area and survive easily elsewhere, although this is working with birds like Great Bustards, I don't see this being a way forward that many people would go for.

Also some animals have adpated really well, rabbits are here because of man, and they have become a food source for a lot of animals, removing these could have a drastic affect on many other species, so how would we decide what ones are harmfull, and what ones are positive, because although rabbits are a food source, many people find them a pest.

Another thing I thought of was one that I read a while ago, I can't rememer where it was, but a dog food company where making dog food from a pest species that was introduced by man, and this got me thinking, could a dog food group over here be stustained by hunting alien species for things like animal food? If done right this could also be of benefit to other animals, as if the food source is hunted then no animals can be abused for the food group, through anything like intensive farming etc, I don't really know where most dog food brands get the meat from, as its not really spoke about like human food, but I think that this could be a way forward.