Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Drop it :( ??

Well my Black Lab Raven will not drop a ball while playing fetch. We play fetch everyday. I throw it, she runs to get it, and brings it back, but won't drop it, and when I try to get it from her, she won't let go. She has a death grip on it. I tell her to sit, then I say drop the ball, I touch the ball then point to the ground. She just won't drop it. I've tried bringing treats when we go to the park and I have the treat visible, and I tell her to drop the ball and she just trys to eat the treat with the ball in her mouth. Does anyone have any advice on how to get Raven to release whatever she has in her mouth? Ball, rope, etc!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Try using two balls... throw one then when she returns it show her the other. When she drops the first ball to get the other, give loads of praise.
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
LOL I've tried that. I used two balls. I would throw one and she would go run after it then when she returns I would throw the other one. She usually tries to put BOTH balls in her mouth, or she picks the ball thats her favorite. Any other advice??
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Just as an add on, make 'your' ball really look interesting by throwing it into the air and catching it etc. Add the cue word 'drop' as your dog releases the ball from his mouth and go to pick it up. If he grabs and snatches the ball as you bend to pick it up, don't fight him for it, just stand back up and toss your ball and catch it until he drops it again. Usually takes about 3-4 attempts to pick up the ball without your dog snatching it.

The second ball can usually be dropped off after a couple of play sessions (more usually one session). Right now, he just doesn't know the rules of the game. Once he's shown what they are, he'll love to drop the ball so that he can chase it again.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Fingal is much the same. The two balls thing will work.

With Fingal I think the reluctance to drop was born out of the fact that 99% of the things I took off him when he was young were things he shouldn't have had so he asumes he won't get it back.

Now when I play ball in the garden with him it's hard to get him to release the 1st couple of fetches but once he realises that giving me the ball results in more throws and more fun he's happy to give it up.
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah I don't know why Raven won't release. She's almost 2 years old. I adopted her from a friend so I don't know what kind of training she had in the past. Seems like she didn't have much release training cause she wont let anything go once she has it in her mouth. I try not to pull it from her mouth but after standing there for 5-10 mins staring at her while she sits there with a death grip on the ball or rope it gets pretty annoying. LOL
So I try to take it from her but she just won't let it go. I look her in the eyes and say "Raven, Drop it" she just stares at me. Almost with a look as if she wants me to try and get it from her.
I've run out of ideas on how to get her to drop the ball or whatever she has in her mouth. Of course when she FINALLY does happen to drop it, she has a lot of fun chasing it, but then of course returns with the usual death grip on it and won't let it go. If anyone else has any helpful advice I'll take it!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Only thing I can suggest is that you go overboard with praise even when you have to pull it from her mouth. Try to associate you taking the ball with praise .. then if she likes all the fuss and praise she may become more willing to give you the ball...
Sumbear880
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Yes I've also tried being really happy and giving her a lot of praise after i get the ball whether its her dropping it (not like that happens much) or if i have to get it out of her mouth. I always tell her she's a good girl, and I pet her telling her what a good girl she is. But of course one she has it in her mouth again its a long process to get it out of her mouth again.
I don't know why she's so stubborn. It drives me crazy though..LOL
niki
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2007, 06:21 PM
i have a 2 n as bit yr old border terrier,ive been trying for over a yr with the drop command,nothing works,food isnt an insentive,if i forget 1 day to bring treats into the park its like starting all over again,either he is too clever n stubborn to fall for the food treats,or he is too stupid to realise wot i want,mean time he is away destroying yet another ball he has theifed,whilst im tearing my hair out trying yet again

WOT DO I DO !!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Sorry no advice just to let you know you are not alone.
Ollie is the same if you offer him a treat he drops the ball takes the treat then sits waiting for another treat,and ignores the ball and fetch game altogether.He isn't a retriever though so I tend to excuse him.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >