Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 11:00 PM

New to dogweb-In memory of Simba

I have joined this site this evening, having been recommended by Katie from Ask your Neighbour, she suggested that I contact Inca, a cavalier owner also on this site.
Neither of us had ever had a dog before, so when I mentioned to my husband I'd like a dog, he was surprised. A week passed and then out of the blue he said "are you serious" ? That was my opening! We had a daughter of 5, so as a responsible parent I did my homework on which breed. I had read many books, and occasionally saw Cavaliers, prior to that I didn't know what a cavalier was!!
We met both parents before the pups were born, I could of taken them all home....we chose a dog and named him Simba-blenheim born 12/12/94.
Well, you have all probably read between the lines, we had to take the agonising decision to have him put to sleep. This last year he had slowed down considerably, the vet told me on a check up that he had a heart condition and this was common with this breed, and not to over-excercise him. Then late November, there were noticable changes with Simba. I took him back to the vet and they put him on medication, he still had a good appetite and still loved his cuddles, but he collapsed daily, not for long-seconds but always picked himself up again. It started to worry me and I sat with him each and every day, and refused to leave him alone. Back to the vets, to be told he didn't have long, maybe 1 month, 7 months at the most. Then on the 23rd December early morning my husband called for me, Simba had collapsed again, but this time he didn,t get up. He was due to have an x-ray and blood tests in an hour to confirm our suspicions. We hurried him to the vet wrapped in a blanket, I knew that this time we would have to say Goodbye. We brought him home and have burried him in our garden. We are so so sad. Now I am crying...again. I know in time the hurt & upset will give way to special happy memories, but at the moment I am devastated. So rest in peace my lovely boy x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Awww I'm so sorry to hear about little Simba - you must be devastated My sister had two Cavaliers that both died from heart problems one died on his 9th Birthday and the other one was 11 when he died The pain must be really intense at the moment - I remember it well from when I had to have my GSD put to sleep at only nearly 6 years old in July 2004. I still cry over him even now ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Thank you for such a quick reply x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2005, 11:15 PM
So sorry to hear you have lost Simba ..

Safe journey over Rainbow Bridge much loved little dog...

Do you know the story of Rainbow bridge....click here...

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Meg, thank you for sending me the Rainbow Bridge link. I had heard of it but had not visited the site-have now ....x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

30-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Sleep well Simba
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 07:04 AM
So sorry for your loss. Run free Simba xx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 09:44 AM
sleep well Simba run free little man ......thanks for joining this site there are a few cavalier owners on here who share your pain and have lost babies with the dreaded heart problems.......all I can say is never give up loving this breed we are trying very hard by only breeding fron heart tested pearents to help this problem ...not sure we can ever beat it .........11 isnt a bad age for a cavalier although never going to the bridge would be better............. thanks to Katy ( whoever you are ) for bringing you here x
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2005, 09:59 AM
So sorry for your loss, run free little man, the world is yours now.
Unitil you meet again at the bridge, be strong and remember him with love not pain. xxxxxxxxxxxx
Annestaff
Supervisor

30-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Run free little man

So sorry for your loss
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >