View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Been feeding raw for 8 years vet hasn't seen the dogs for 6 years last time was health check when I got Zymi.

Did buy kibble from them a wee while ago but that was for the rats
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Been feeding raw for 8 years vet hasn't seen the dogs for 6 years last time was health check when I got Zymi.

Did buy kibble from them a wee while ago but that was for the rats

Brill!! How did the rats rate premium kibble? Boring after a while?
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I know when I worked as a vets assistant the vet nurses had no training on canine nutrition and the vets not much more (and that was sponsored by the food company of choice at the time). That is going back some years now though.

My dogs rarely go to the vets but i have to say if they did - certainly for something like a cut paw - i wouldn't expect the third degree on what i was feeding them - where is the link to the injury/treatment here? I am afraid it would make me skeptical that it was just going to be a sales pitch.

Luckily my vet is used to me and as she says - owners normally know their own dogs and what suits them best.(though last appointment we did discuss what raw foods/recreational bones it was safe to give her dog)
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:50 PM
My vet nurses advise, but know me well enough to know if I want to feed them wet mixed with JW, I will......
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
I know when I worked as a vets assistant the vet nurses had no training on canine nutrition and the vets not much more (and that was sponsored by the food company of choice at the time). That is going back some years now though.

My dogs rarely go to the vets but i have to say if they did - certainly for something like a cut paw - i wouldn't expect the third degree on what i was feeding them - where is the link to the injury/treatment here? I am afraid it would make me skeptical that it was just going to be a sales pitch.

Luckily my vet is used to me and as she says - owners normally know their own dogs and what suits them best.(though last appointment we did discuss what raw foods/recreational bones it was safe to give her dog)

She was filling out a pre-anaesthetic form which curiously enough also asked when he was last treated for worms and fleas! Hmmmmn! Sadly for them it was 3 weeks ago!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moli View Post
My vet nurses advise, but know me well enough to know if I want to feed them wet mixed with JW, I will......
So will I, but I clearly looked as if I was in a weakened state (sneezing, bright red hooter etc) and would be receptive to a dressing down. Bully!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 06:15 PM
hi
young recently qualified v.n 's think they know it all they even challenge the vets(ive worked with enough of them to know that)also very often they do not even live with a dog......time will help them lol
dont worry.
2 of my dogs are fed raw and kibble,the rest just kibble...one i feed part raw has never looked as good..he has gained 4 kilos(even border dawn would have to take back her 'roachback' comment now )
also its the ripping and tearing of flesh that helps clean the teeth,so.........
i cannot chop and change their foods about tho,as i have a house of sensitive tummys,but its what suits that counts,one way does not fit all.
i would be slightly worried tho,if someone was cooking meals for their dogs as this destroys all the goodness and messes the balance up,it is very hard to get it right and i do know of a few dogs that have suffered liver and other problems from being fed this way
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
young recently qualified v.n 's think they know it all they even challenge the vets(ive worked with enough of them to know that)also very often they do not even live with a dog......time will help them lol
dont worry.
2 of my dogs are fed raw and kibble,the rest just kibble...one i feed part raw has never looked as good..he has gained 4 kilos(even border dawn would have to take back her 'roachback' comment now )
also its the ripping and tearing of flesh that helps clean the teeth,so.........
i cannot chop and change their foods about tho,as i have a house of sensitive tummys,but its what suits that counts,one way does not fit all.
i would be slightly worried tho,if someone was cooking meals for their dogs as this destroys all the goodness and messes the balance up,it is very hard to get it right and i do know of a few dogs that have suffered liver and other problems from being fed this way
Cheers, I hoped you would comment. For me how well they look, whether they enjoy their food and the quality of their poo justifies what they have for dinner. I do put a lot of thought into making their diet interesting, my husband thinks I'm nuts. Perhaps he's right!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Cheers, I hoped you would comment. For me how well they look, whether they enjoy their food and the quality of their poo justifies what they have for dinner. I do put a lot of thought into making their diet interesting, my husband thinks I'm nuts. Perhaps he's right!!
yip
serial poo watcher me,so i iz nuts
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I`ve had a vet go mad at me for giving my dogs chicken wings. I just smile and shrug. They all have wonderful teeth.
Vets (and vet nurses ) are experts on veterinary medicine. Not diet, or behaviour, or training.
Maybe they should stick to what they know.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >