View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 08:16 PM

stands still and refuses to move on walks - why?

Mmmm, tried to take Georgie out for his first of many many walkies today but promply failed.
He was ok with the lead and harness as ive been putting them on him in the house and garden for the last few weeks to get him used to them. He was keen to go out the door, and he was fine on the grass verge outside my house....
Well, then it all went pear shaped. He refused to move another inch ( we only got 12ft away from my front door ) he crouched down and dug his claws in the path. I tried to encpurage him by calling him towards me, no such luck though.
I did what other people had advised me and pulled him towards me, gently calling him, but still nothing. He started sniffing around so i let him carry on with it as its his way of getting to know the outside world.
Well, Georgie then laid down and refused point blank to move so we went back in. I have tried again this evening and he did exactly the same thing, only he did it the minute we got out the front door.

Did this happen to anyone else on their 1st walks?
Has anyone got any advice on how to get Georgie to even move his legs outside the house???!!!
nic2410
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I took my puppy for her first walk today and she did this a little bit but not too much, she mostly only did it when she was wanting to sniff at something and I was trying to move her on. I have never had a dog before so am by no means an expert but maybe it would help if you carried him out a bit further and then put him on the ground, also when he moves forward a little then praise him and give him a treat?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 05:34 PM
sounds like a bit of the big wide scary world + has he been on concrete before ? i took the other dog with me so he just followed but what about a treat or bringing favourate toy to encourge him or maybe just a little bit at a time + do more next time
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Bless Georgie!
Try carrying him just a few yards from your house (make sure traffic etc isn't too noisy and there aren't too many people around) and then put him down and walk back to your house, lots of praise and high value food such as liver, chicken, sausage etc....he needs to start associating the great outdoors with enjoying himself, so using food and making it a really happy time for him will help

I should have asked how old he is?
Main thing is you don't want to actually startle him so the last thing you want is for a huge great juggernaut to hurtle by at the very moment he comes outside If you live in a busy area maybe try taking him to a car park of a supermarket when it's quiet to gethim used to cars and more people, feeding him high value food titbits all the time he is there...hth

Wys
x