Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:14 PM

how did you learn?

there have been lots of threads lately about studies in canine behaviour, training, the dominance theory and so on.

as a dog owner, trainer, I have to say, I dont really read these studies

I tend to go on what I see, what I have learned from the dogs I have trained,

so the question is, how did you learn?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:22 PM
From my dogs, from loads of different people and from courses I went on in for behaviour, agility, HTM, flyball and obedience.

I am an amalgamation of all of these!

rune
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Never read a book in my life, except a few months ago when I actually bought a training book and enjoyed reading it, but turned out that particular trainer recommends things exactly the way I do them anyway.

I learned through experience and that's it, apart from the odd training class here and there, and I've done more training at classes with Zena than I ever did with any of my others.

Having horses nearly all my life helped me most I think, afterall, the theory of beating half a ton of horsemeat into submission is just not gonna work as you well know Shona, so that taught me everything I needed to know in the dog world, that patience, consistency and kindness will win them over everytime and it's worked for me!

Being on my 8th or 9th gsd now, I've had loads of experience with my breed anyway, and I know they're all different, but the basic training is still the same, some pick it up a lot quicker than others.

I'm also a great believer in, you've either got it or you aint, some peops it comes naturally to and the dogs listen to them, whilst others..... well you know!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2009, 04:30 PM
specifically, when you say "how did we learn", what is it you are asking we learnt?

sorry if that sounds off, i couldnt think of a better way of putting it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
specifically, when you say "how did we learn", what is it you are asking we learnt?

sorry if that sounds off, i couldnt think of a better way of putting it
lol kruse you always sound a bit off... kidding

about dogs, depending on the people that respond, it could be based on training, or just living with them, whatever.

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Same as you and Helena, Shona. I worked with horses before I had dogs. Animal work teaches you to use your brains, to make it easy and rewarding for the animal to do what you want, and to avoid what you don`t.
My first dog was very bright and taught me all I needed to know to keep up with her.
As I took on rescues and fosters I had to solve a few problems but found the basics to be fairly simple and not a lot different from the original horse-stuff. I`m lucky in that I missed all the dominance theories, and found Barbara Woodhouse just too funny for words.
Of books, I can`t bear most of them as they seem to be written for american children but Jean Donaldson and Barbara Sykes were very helpful.
I went to loads of dog clubs & trainers along the way, and picked up bits from various people. I think you can learn something from everybody, and every dog.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol kruse you always sound a bit off... kidding

about dogs, depending on the people that respond, it could be based on training, or just living with them, whatever.

i learnt tall about dogs working in rescue centres
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 05:09 PM
for those who have not done the whole reading up thing, be it books, studies or whatever,

do you think doing all the homework would improve your ability?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2009, 05:17 PM
i did books, courses, and worskshops later

i would recommend it
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I have to say I have learnt a lot from Ben and of course one or two very kind and helpful people

I always had dogs around me as a kid and also horses and I definitely knew the principles about being firm but kind and rewarding the behviour you want. Have shed loads more to learn but am looking forward to it
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >