Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 02:04 PM

What is the Ideal weight for a CKCS?

Please could someone tell me the ideal weight for a CKCS ?

I think my cavvy may be slightly over weight
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 03:08 PM
breed standard is 14-18lb
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 03:38 PM
12 to 18 lbs but rather than check the weight feel your dog Can you feel his ribs & does he have a "waist"

My JD weighs 7 kgs & is slim & KC weighs 10.45 kgs & is also slim the diference being JD is smaller dog than KC
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Mmmm, my cavie is 8.9kg and I can feel ribs, but she looks very podgy!

Maybe its just her winter coat? Her coat is so curly, and the rain makes it much worse.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 03:58 PM
sorry yes 12-18 ( was in a rush )

my Sophie is 21lb spayed but dosen't look any bigger than the others she is just heavier
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Yep my cavie is spayed too, and she seems to have put on so much more weight over the last year since she was spayed. I havent fed her more than I used to, I suppose she's just a nicely growing lass!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 06:02 PM
some people say that spaying does not effect their weight or coat But i strongly disagree
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2006, 11:14 AM
When a bitch is spayed or a dog castrate it's metabolism slows down so it needs less food, if you have continued to feed the same amount she will put on weight. I always tell owners to reduce the dogs food by 1/3 after neutering and to bring it back to the surgery every 2 weeks for weight checks (free of charge) until we know she is definately not gaining weight. I agree with the coats, spaniels and setters tend to develope a fluffy coat and my own breed, the Siberian Husky, gets a thicker undercoat and longer guard hairs which don't moult out like normal making them difficult to groom properly.

Cavailers come in all shapes and sizes, some of the pet ones we see are bigger than cockers so go by feel, you should be able to easily feel her ribs without digging through fat but not see them and she should have a nice waist. Many Cavaliers suffer from heart problems so it is importand to keep them slim.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Poppy is 24lb, but I can feel her ribs and some people actually say to me that she's "slim", but I can tell the way they say it, they actually mean skinny. She is a couple of inches taller than the breed standard too. She's not a greedy dog, she will eat what she wants and walk away, she also refuses biscuits and treats if she's not hungry. The vet weighed her about 3 weeks ago when I took her for her dew claws and nails to be trimmed. I said I was a bit concerned that she was so heavy, he felt her ribs and said she was fine, but he wouldn't want to see any more weight on her. She gets plenty of exercise and she's certainly not sluggish, so I'm not worried about her.

I agree that spayed bitches do put on weight, although I personally haven't noticed any change in Poppy's coat, it's no thicker than it was before, in fact, it's still like her puppy fur, it's never grown long to adult length.