View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Charities to help with large vet bills??

Hi my 5 year old Staffie Angel had to have emergency op to remove 2 tumors 1 is cancerous and were waiting for further test results to see if she needs chemo. She is insured but weve used almost all the money it covered on the op. We have been told chemo can cost between £800 - £2000 a month. There is no way we can afford it we have no savings and are only on benefits, also a loan is out of the question. We have a couple of things we can sell but long term we would only be able to afford 1 month at the most. We love Angel dearly and want to do what ever we can to help her it's bad enough she is so poorly but now were also stressing over the money. Does anyone know of any charities which could help us any help would be much appreciated xoxo
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your dog needing chemo I hope she recovers. Not to be rude but you say you're on benefits? Could you register with the PDSA? They help people on benefits, whether there's a limit on cost of treatment, I'm not sure but it could help Goodluck x
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi Lianne, I just looked up PDSA unfortunately they don't cover chemo. It's a nightmare I just want my baby to be well. Thanks for getting back to me hope your having a good weekend xoxo
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh no, that's so sad I can't think of any UK charities that help with funds of this sort. Could the RSPCA help in anyway if you explained the situation? Could your current vets do a payment scheme for you as it's such a large amount?

I really do feel for you, I hope there is something out there that could help you xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 06:49 PM
PDSA will not cover chemo, there are not many charities that help now-adays

But if this is any help, try contacting any of your animals shelters, with a proposal of helping them to raise money ie shaking cans on the streets etc, your friends can help, and suggesting that for every 3 cans raisred could you have one towards her treatment.
Local newpapers too love to cover these stories, local radio stations, TV local news will also cover these stories.

I did all of this for Reah, you will be surprised how many animal lovers would love to help you.

Try raising money with car boot sales, garage sales, sponsored walks....again using your local rescues, where part of the money raised ewill go to them, raffle tickets on the walk with 1st 2nd 3rd prizes. Ask local businesses suggesting that they can use it to advertise thier business by using ''see us support local people & thier dog in thier plight''
Tesco, sainsburys etc., too
When people see your trying to help yourselves raise money, they will be more than helpful. You need to get a plan, speak to people and be a little pushy but tactful with your plans, so they can see you have thought things out.

I managed to raise over £3,000.00 for Reah, it was hard going and time consumming, but I did a notice in the papers afterwards with a picture of Reah thanking people for thier help and generosity,as without them we would never of got Reah walking again

Best wishes xxxx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 06:56 PM
There is a charity called Tailwaggers club trust that gives grants to help animals in need and help pay vets bills. They are only a small charity so I doubt they could fund all treatment but Im sure they will help if they can. Also contact local press, papers news etc. Im sure if you put the effort to get the story told, you'd be supprised how genorous people will be. I hope you get the help you need and good luck to you all. xx
leanne86
New Member!
Female 

19-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi I dont know if you have an rspca clinic in your area,its just like a vet but for people on benefits they are usually only open 3 or 4 times a week but are much cheaper than a private vet and they will also refere you to the animal hospital for treatment but the prices are nowhere near as expensive,hope all goes well and you manage to find one near you.
foxy32
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2012, 11:24 AM
We Contacted A Company Charity Called Tailwaggers, We Are Waiting On A Reply As Our Bill Is Nearly £4,000, Our Staffie Has Been In The Animal Hospital For A Week Now And Has Had M.r.i Scans And All Sorts Of Tests His Eye Is Even Worse Than When He Originally Went In To Hospital And Now They Are Telling Us Our Poor Dog May Lose His Eye And Need An Operation, We Are On Low Paid Jobs And The Hospital Are Telling Us They Are Looking For A Lump Sum Of Money When We Collect Him, But I Know Thats Impossible, So Im Frustrated Cause I Dont Know Where To Go From Here Im Hoping Tailwaggers Can Give Me Some Sort Of Help, So I Would Give Them A Try, Denise From Glasgow
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Set up a justgiving page?!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 11:38 AM
This thread is two years old...