Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:39 AM

Sickness and unusual thick drooling from mouth

Poppy has just been sick twice and has had unusually thick drool coming from her mouth for several minutes (it seems to have stopped for the time being)

She seems quieter in herself than normal but slept though the night fine.

She hasnt touched her water yet and i have not tried to give her any food due to the sickness.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:48 AM
No experience, sorry.

How old is she?
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:52 AM
Shes almost 2....shes fallen asleep at the moment and no more signs of sickness/drooling.

Im not sure if she might have overdone it a bit last night as she was playing and runnning around a lot with my mums and sisters dogs. She tends to have a bad habit of picking up strands of grass so not sure if this might have contributed?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 05:26 AM
I've never known grass to cause this, but it could be possible, I suppose.

Are you going to keep your vet appointment, or do you think a phone call could put your mind at rest, considering the improvement in Poppy?

I would be interested to hear what the vet says, either way.

x
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks for your replies Vicki. I havent got an appointment at the moment, my vet opens for one hour on a sunday between 11 and 12 so was planning on phoning up and keeping my eye on her in the mean time.

My initial reaction was to ring the emergency vet, but Im not sure if im overreacting as the sickness and drooling has stopped and she is sleeping at the moment. Its really worrying especially when its so out of character
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Could it have been an allergic reaction ? has she been outside? could she have been in contact with a toad this? but glad to hear things have settled
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:19 AM
She was playing outside in my mums back garden with her dog last night but there was always someone keeping an eye on them. She has been out for a wee this morning but came straight back in.

We do have to watch her like a hawk as she trys to pick up and eat anything off the floor, but she only tried to eat a few strands of grass last night whilst playing.

She has just sat up and looked like she was trying to be sick again but nothing came up and she has now settled back down again.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:51 AM
The drooling would worry me, along with the sickness of course. I've just been Googling all evening about intermittent sickness and blockages, and I remember reading that sickness accompanied by drooling CAN point to a blockage in the eosophogus (sp?), something that can't enter the stomach, so of course, the dog will throw up anything it eats and sometimes even water if that can't get through.

Definitely worth a vet trip if she's still drooling and being sick this morning is my advice.

Hopefully, your dog has just picked up a bit of a bug, hence the eating of the grass, and she'll get over it in 24/48 hours, but good luck with her. Always a worry!
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks Helena, theres been no further sickness or drooling (touch wood), but will defintiley be taking her to the vets as soon as it opens this morning
binky44
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2011, 09:08 AM
My dog drools now and again and it is a warning to us that he is going to have a siezure.
It is often when he gets too excited or our grand daughter has been around. When I pick him up his body is all tense like he stiffens up. I rub him or massage him until it passes.
Sometimes he just drools and gets lethagic and doesn't go any further until he quietens down and we make sure he stays quiet and rests.

If it is warm weather we cool him off as we live in Australia and we wet him down especially on his tummy.

Hope this has helped.

If it has passed you don't need to worry as it only comes at times.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >