Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Dew claw fractured

Hello I have just been to the vets with my chocolate lab for her 12 month injections.. I advised the vet that her front paw dew claw seemed broke.. Which it was he quickly pulled the whole claw off (the nail bit) and you could feel the toe was swollen.. So she on 14 days of antibiotics.. He didn't advise of any change to exercise routine and she seems happy enough out and about...

However she does spend a lot of time licking her paw which I am trying to stop..

Just wandered if anyone had a similar problem or could offer any advice on this..?

He did say it would highly likely that her due claw toe would need to be removed because it can be difficult to clear the infection ...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Dillon snapped his front dew claw almost off a couple of months ago he had to go in and have heavy sedation to cut it back as far as possible. He then a few days later kept licking and chewing and has removed the entire nail bed himself.
Your lab may do this yet. Keep a watch for it laying around.
We were advised to keep exercise to a minimum and no mad running around due to his size and allowing swelling to subside and healing to take a hold.
Having the toe off is a quite an ordeal and can take a long time to heal so best avoided if possible.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
My gsd fractured her big, first claw a while ago and it was giving her grief on and off. When the vet looked at it, he could see that the fracture went right back to the nail bed and said it would have to come out, so she went in and had it taken out under a GA. You would then have to keep it very clean to avoid it getting infected, so I would wrap it up in a sock and then a Pawz boot for walks, but left just the sock on indoors, and touch wood, a month or so down the line, no infection, and I can now see a completely new nail appearing.

When you say that he quickly pulled the whole claw off, surely you don't mean he actually pulled the claw out with no sedation Jeeesus Christ if he did!!! I'm assuming you mean he cut it back as much as he could without touching the quick? I'm assuming you do because you then go on to say it might have to come out Good luck with him, but if it's fractured right back, then it will always grow with the fracture in my vet told me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
I can imagine this is quite a problem with bigger, heavier dogs and the weightbearing and such.

Bella fractured a back paw claw (but it had always been a skinny withered one with no 'curve' to it).

Vet did as above. Cut it back as far as possible (he'd always said not to trim that one coz impossible to know if it had blood vessel and it didn't touch the ground anyway) but this time he had to do something. It didn't bleed and, also as above, Bella kept on at it until she removed the last bit herself.

It seemed to take forever for a new one to grow but it has grown (exactly the same as the last one - skinny and straight) but she does still lick that paw a LOT and I wonder if it's because it's now become a sort of 'habit' much like with some humans who bite their nails?

It definitely doesn't hurt her - I've poked and prodded and rubbed and scrubbed it. But she is always licking it when lying down. (Mind you she does have an elephant memory for any ailment or injury - however minor)
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2013, 03:21 PM
You could see the nail part was fractured as it wobbling about.. The vet quickly grabbed hold of the nail with a pair of tweezer type things and very very quickly whipped the nail off... It did not bleed and she did not yelp (which he said may happen).. She is now left with the quick and an infected toes.. We are due to go back in 2 weeks to see if the infection has cleared up..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-09-2013, 03:33 PM
They would of whipped Dillon's off there and then but it was still attached quite firmly so he went in and they sorted it out under heavy sedation.
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I am a little worried as the angle that the dew claw seems be at is not the same as her other paw... Looks as if it is pulled out away from her leg.... Which makes me think that Helena54 is right and that it will grow back with a fracture in it... Hope my dog will be ok. I have bathed her paw in salt water and she is now fast asleep..