Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:28 PM

Igor the Black Alsatian

Mutthouse's thread (your first love) got me all nostalgic, looking through old pics of Igor our black alsatian, so I thought I would share some fond memories with you guys...

My parents bought Iggy when I was about 18mths old, so we grew up together and he was like my big brother! He used to try & chew my feet when I crawled around, and Mum and Dad still love to remind me that I used to say "yeave my yegs ayone!" all the time!
I don't have any brothers or sisters so we were especially close - I would play board games with him; throwing for me then for him alternately!

[img-big]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/KATIEB_23/igor/b.jpg[/img-big]

He was about 9 stone, and would easily jump up and put his front paws on my Dad's shoulders (who's 6ft) when he got home from work! I used to try & get him to jump up at me, but he was always so gentle & protective with me & knew I was too little to be jumped up at. He was so well behaved that I could take him out for walks on my own when I was young -about the same age as in the pics.

[img-big]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/KATIEB_23/igor/e.jpg[/img-big]

[img-big]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/KATIEB_23/igor/f.jpg[/img-big]

[img-big]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/KATIEB_23/igor/c.jpg[/img-big]

[img-big]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/KATIEB_23/igor/d.jpg[/img-big]

This pic is funny - I must point out that Iggy's face is infront of my Mum's - although it looks quite bizarre from the angle it's taken!

[img-big]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/KATIEB_23/igor/a.jpg[/img-big]

Iggy's back legs went when he was only 8yrs old, and it spread to his bladder & bowels. It's weird how I've never quite got over his passing. I mean, it was 14yrs ago, and I still cry when I think about it! It's not as if I'm a particularly 'sensitive' type either - It's just that's my weak spot. I watched "Million Dollar Baby" last night, and there was a line in it about this girl's childhood alsatian & how it used to drag itself around by its front legs until her Dad took it away & ended it's pain - had me crying my eyes out. I'm fighting back tears now! It just really upsets me that something like that is so common in these amazing, noble dogs. It's just so unfair on them; and their owners who have to make the gut-wrenching decision about when to send them on to Rainbow Bridge.

Okay I'm starting to lose the fight against the tears now, and I'm still at work, so I'd better stop thinking about sad things!

I thought the 'gone but not forgotten' section was particularly appropriate for this thread; because even though Iggy's been 'gone' for a long time, he will certainly never, ever be forgotten by the people he loved xx
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:33 PM
oh he was a lovely dog and what a great memory you have posted for him.

Indeed he will never be forgotton, its impossible with all the good memories you have of him
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Awwww he was a beauty, what a lovely lad Iggy was Katie and how sad that he died young (just like my beloved GSD nearly 2 years ago ) He looked a very loyal and loving dog and no wonder you have such brilliant and sad memories of him - I am sure you will meet again one day as I will my Sabre - I'm not going to heaven - I'm going to rainbow bridge - it sounds far nicer
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:36 PM
What a beautiful, gorgeous dog you dear Iggy was, no wonder you miss him loads. Such a shame to lose him so young,I'm sorry you did A friend of mine had a big black gsd just like him and she used to bring him into the pubs we went to, but he was sooooooo big and strong, she just couldn't cope with him in the end, so had to leave him at home after that! I love the black gsd's. One of mine is predominantly black, but not all of her, she's got some white on her chest and sable legs, but I would have dearly loved an all-black like your Iggy. Fabulous dog and he sounds like he had a superb temperament too. Thanks for sharing
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks Toby & Foxy!

Foxy, whenever I see your signature it touches me & makes me think of Igor. It amazes me how many people have lost their GSD's to the same thing. My OH is sympathetic but abviously doesnt understand my pain like a fellow GSD owner who has been through the same experience. To see your best friend cut down in their prime is particularly cruel.

Anyway, I know he is waiting for me, and I look forward to seeing him again one day...
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Thank you Helena for your kind words xx
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Lovely Pictures
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
What a big gentle boy he was, thanks for sharing it with us xxx
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 07:35 AM
what a stunning boy,, so sorry he went to the bridge before his time,, he was truly stunning x x

run free big man x x x
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Awww, what a lovly boy you were blessed to know.
Thankyou for shareing the photo's.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >