Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't see Amanda referring to any other dog other than her own though

Er yes, I managed to grasp that from reading the post, funnily enough.

She put forward a hypothesis re the difference between her dog's behaviour post eating complete and raw.

I put forward an alternative hypothesis.

I thought that was what forums were for, sharing information and opinions?

Or have I got that wrong?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Never said that it was Just simply observing that, for some reason, Cain's behaviour stopped when his diet changed. I don't know why, just sharing my theory.

Yep, and I am just sharing the obsedrvation that many raw fed dogs also run around a lot just after eating.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Also, I wandered if time taken to consume food adds to satisfaction? I know that humans take 20 mins for their stomach to realise that their stomach is full, therefore if you eat slowly then you may feel full before the end of your meal. But if you shovel it down then you still feel hungry for a while and go off in search of pudding

it takes Cain approx 25 mins to eat half a rabbit, but about 25 seconds to inhale a bowl of kibble I wander if this has an effect of feeling full?

Also all the chewing involved in raw meals. When on kibble Cain used to love Nylabones, now on raw he ignores them. Is this because his diet satisfies his need to chew more? Again the age thing comes in though, he may have just outgrown his chewy phase.

Just a few other things I've pondered since changing to raw.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=rueben;2247857]Could be something to do with an overload of quick energy release caused by eating to much cereals as against slower released energy that is obtained by eating protein and fats.To much grain can put a strain on a dog's pancreas.[/QUOTE]

Another interesting thought to mull over Reuben
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Also, I wandered if time taken to consume food adds to satisfaction? I know that humans take 20 mins for their stomach to realise that their stomach is full, therefore if you eat slowly then you may feel full before the end of your meal. But if you shovel it down then you still feel hungry for a while and go off in search of pudding

it takes Cain approx 25 mins to eat half a rabbit, but about 25 seconds to inhale a bowl of kibble I wander if this has an effect of feeling full?

Also all the chewing involved in raw meals. When on kibble Cain used to love Nylabones, now on raw he ignores them. Is this because his diet satisfies his need to chew more? Again the age thing comes in though, he may have just outgrown his chewy phase.

Just a few other things I've pondered since changing to raw.

Well we know that gnawing releases endorphins into the blood stream so giving a sense of satisfaction.

Giving raw recreational bones helps to not only to develop jaws etc but provide this bio feedback.

None of my dogs have ever taken THAT long to consume a rabbit though, it generally goes down in a couple of gulps, with or without a fur coat!

Hence why they get very large recreational bones, they inhale most other things!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes well the first time Cain got a rabbit it took him an hour to eat it because he spent the first 30 staring at it and pushing it around before he realised it was edible
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
One way of discibing the different energy effects of grain against protein is-energy created by carbs(grains) is a bit like a "sprinter" fast of the block but over with and burnt out quickly as against fats and a certain amount of protein the "long distant runner" that has a slower lower level of energy burning speed and sustained for much longer but not as hypo. As long as there isn't any health reasons a healthy dogs digestive system is best suited to protein and fats. It would be better to feed only small amounts of carbs(grains) at any one time as high levels can also cause diabetes.Fats are a good source of energy for dogs they digest and use it well as dogs do not suffer with cholesterol as we humans do.
hobbit1991
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2011, 05:49 PM
wow thanks for all your responses! It is a very very interesting subject and that observation about the activity level after feeding dry kibble was surprising! I have heard that dry kibble feeding can promote bloating after feeding but not hyperactivity! (Unless you have foods full of colourings i.e Bakers!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 05:52 PM
There is no proven link between kibble and GDV however some of us have chosen to go down the route of raw because we believe it may be safer.

However, dogs on raw have bloated too.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2