Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
outhval
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Cleaning Laminated Floors

I've just had an email from another dog site saying that, to kill germs and eliminate dog odours, you should mop your laminated floor with neat household bleach and that there is no need to rinse. What are your thoughts on this. I would be reluctant to use it neat in case my dog licked it or had traces of it on his paws and then licked them. I personally use a solution of water, small amount of lemon juice and white vinegar. I'd appreciate your views and to know what you wash your floors with and what you consider "pet safe"
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
.. .. firstly neat bleach scalds..think of your dogs sensitive eyes and nose as well
not only that...bleach smells of amomia.. so does pee..it will encourage your dog to wee there
outhval
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
These were my concerns as well, not the peeing because he is nearly 5 yrs old, and apart from being sick on the small rug in the middle of the room, he hasn't peed indoors for years. During this bad weather, of course, a lot of mud and dirt comes into the house. When he is sick on the mat, I just throw it away and get another as they only cost about £4 or £5 so not really worth trying to clean. I read in another post that this person's dog always sicks up on the rug and never on the floor. Same as mine, and have always wondered why? Thanks for answering my question, regards Val.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
You use a steam mop. This disinfects without any chemicals and dries immediately.
http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/product...2omopultra.php
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Steam mops are brilliant. Altho I got rid of my laminate flooring I never used any 'cleaning product' and certainly not bleach! on it I have a steam mop and its brilliant. I comes apart to a hand held steamer too and I do the whole house with it Plus the added bonus ..No Rinse
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Steam cleaner all the way - they are fabulous, no chemicals needed & drys really quick too
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 04:59 AM
I love the look of the steam mop, but I can not see where it says for laminated floors, I see it says for sealed flooring,wooden, lino and carpets/rugs

Are they ok with laminated if used over a period of time guys???
outhval
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You use a steam mop. This disinfects without any chemicals and dries immediately.
http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/product...2omopultra.php
Thanks for the info. I would find this on the expensive side unless it does all it says it does on other surfaces such as carpets, cooking spillages etc. A friend bought something similar for £50 some years back (3 dog owner) and said it was useless (one of her 3 dogs who was elderly had no bladder control) and she had carpets in the main living area. At the moment I have microfibre cloths and a non-electric dryer/buffer ordinary broom type thing with removable cover for washing. Son had access to industrial carpet cleaner which he used on my more expensive rug and it left it all limp and it picked up dirt far more quickly after being cleaned and I had to throw it away. So I'm now on the fence re this item and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks everybody for your input/
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I love the look of the steam mop, but I can not see where it says for laminated floors, I see it says for sealed flooring,wooden, lino and carpets/rugs

Are they ok with laminated if used over a period of time guys???
I`ve used one on laminate for 2 years and there seems to be no problem.

I suppose the cost-effectiveness depends on how much laminate and how many dogs. I count time into the equation so for me it`s priceless. I can zoom round with a steam mop in a quarter of the time of any other.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve used one on laminate for 2 years and there seems to be no problem.

I suppose the cost-effectiveness depends on how much laminate and how many dogs. I count time into the equation so for me it`s priceless. I can zoom round with a steam mop in a quarter of the time of any other.
Cheers for that hun.....I will speak to OH as I like the look of them
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >