View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
havocnox
New Member!
Male 

07-02-2009, 06:33 AM

Does my dog have diabetes or just a UTI?

Hello everyone...

This is my first post, as today my dog Lexi was diagnosed with diabetes and I'm having a hard time accepting it...

This is going to be a pretty long thread because I want to make sure I am very thorough in describing the situation... But any input either from professionals or simply people who have had any similar experiences would be very very greatly appreciated.

Now, before I get into why I'm doubting, per say, my vet's diagnosis, I must say that it may just be that I don't want to accept that fact that my dog does have diabetes... As for me just like so many other dog lovers, they want the best for their dog and want them to be in the best health they can possibly be... Anyhow let me get into the details.

My dog is about 4 years old, she's a mutt (chow, collie, lab, and pit are the most prominent breeds) and she hasn't been spayed.

She just came out of heat about 2 weeks ago, and soon after (possibly even just before) she started urinating in the house. At first I wasn't sure if it was just a fluke and maybe she was just having accidents, but then it became every day, so I knew something was wrong. I didn't notice it at first, but more recently I've noticed her drinking a lot of water. I figured it was a UTI, or a bladder infection.

I took her to the vet today, and they asked me about her appetite, drinking, and urinating obviously. They suggested a blood test, in which the results showed she had very high glucose levels in her blood. After that they took a urine sample. The urine sample had some glucose (the vet didn't get too into it, but he didn't express that there was a large amount of glucose in her urine, just more than normal) and she also had some ketones. So they went over the treatment with me, wrote a script for insulin, and 250$ later I'm out the door with an answer to why my dog has been urinating so much.

Now into the reasons why I'm wondering whether or not she actually has diabetes. Forgive me if I seem ignorant in any manner. I wasn't necessarily looking to debunk the diagnosis, but rather I stumbled upon some information while trying to understand her condition more.

My dog hates the vet, as most do, and gets very stressed when they even start to touch her outside of petting, and has never had a muzzle on her before today. Not to mention the sounds of other dogs barking helping with that stress. During their attempt to draw blood for the blood tests, the vet assistant was completely unable to get any blood out of her left arm(paw?) after several attempts, so the doctor had to go ahead and do it, and even he had trouble, but was on the right paw instead. This has to have been even more stressful for Lexi, I can imagine. My reason for all this ranting about stress, is that I've read in some articles that stress can result in a jump in blood sugar levels... And that a more accurate way to measure a dog's blood sugar is by their frucosamine levels, rather than glucose. Not only that, I've also read that multiple blood tests are generally taken before an accurate diagnosis can be made.

In addition to the possible increase in glucose due to stress, I've read that having a UTI also increases the glucose in the dogs urine, which could explain the elevated levels there.

The only thing that makes me second-guess myself is the presence of ketones in her urine. But as I said, it was a low amount. I've read sometimes they're present when a dog is getting sick, though I'm not sure if a UTI or something like that would cause this.

The other symptoms of diabetes would be increased appetite, or even a normal appetite, but with weight loss regardless. As well as lethargy.

My dog has had a normal appetite, and hasn't lost any weight, nor has she had any energy or personality changes. If I hadn't been told she had diabetes I would still be thinking she's a fit, perfectly healthy dog, with a urination problem.

Sorry if I jump around or don't make sense in any areas, it's rather late and I wanted to get this out before I went to sleep. If there's any other information I can give that would help please let me know I'll be checking regularly.

Here's a couple pics of my lady for any interested dog lovers!!
http://stefanschaefer.info/lexi/lexismall.jpg
http://stefanschaefer.info/lexi/lexismall2.jpg

Thank you again for any input!

Edit: She also has a slight urine drip sometimes which I've read to be a symptom of UTI. But then again, it could just be her having to go but trying her best to hold it.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi and welcome

Don't worry, someone will be along soon. I ust wanted to say 'what a cutie she is '.

I hope you get the information and the answers you want. Fingers crossed for you.

Linda
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Your dog is gorgeous!

If you feel your vet's diagnoses is not right, I would get a second opinion.

I did find it hard to follow your post, but English is my second language...
havocnox
New Member!
Male 

07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks! Always a good thing when you arent the only one who thinks your dog is adorable.

I have been thinking about getting a second opinion, but I don't have the money right now because I was layed off work a while back, so I'm just trying to get some other's thoughts at the moment.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 07:52 PM
If you want to double check the diagnosis you can get a urine strip test from your vets, then collect a urine sample at home and test it yourself. At home your dog won't be stressed and you will get an accurate reading.
You will need to do this before your dog starts the insulin though.
At my vets they are free in the waiting room for clients to take but even if you have to pay for one it should be inexpensive.
Do remember though not all dogs like other animals and people show all the symptoms and if you have caught it early weightloss won't show until it gets very advanced.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Stefan welcome to Dogsey. I have read your post and although I am not a vet would agree with your vets assertion that your dog is in the early stages of diabetes. The presence of ketone bodies/glucose in urine and blood all spell out diabetes to me and left untreated your dog may go on to exhibit further symptoms, ravenous appetite/weight loss/ unquenchable thirst and eventually death.

I am not quite sure why you are so perturbed by the diagnoses , once diagnosed and treated diabetes is no big thing as long as you stick to a strict regime of medication and feeding. My friends Cocker Spaniel Ben was diagnosed with diabetes, he lived for many years on medication.

I speak as the daughter of one of the first diabetics to receive the then revolutionary drug insulin in 1928. My Father was 21 at the time and was told by doctors that he would not see his 22nd birthday, he lived to be 89 and took insulin injections for all those years .

If you wish to get a second opinion that is your right , I would say you are lucky the diabetes has been spotted early and that with a little care your dog should be fine.
havocnox
New Member!
Male 

08-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Thank you all for your replies.

I have already started her on insulin, so I wouldn't be able to do the urine test myself.

I do have a follow up appointment with the vet, I suppose we'll see how that goes.

And you're right, I am lucky to have caught it so early.

Thanks again!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Stefan once you get the insulin dosage sorted you can get into a routine and relax a bit.
Lexi looks a real sweety, hope all goes well for you x