Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2005, 10:47 AM

Why? Breeder question!

Ok my brother asked me last week to look out for a dog for his wife, she wanted a small dog like a Westie or a Bischon Frise.

Anyway so Iv been looking for him and in the meantime the stupid idiots gone and bought a Bischon puppy from one of those places that has lots of different breeds, but they arent breeders.

Anyway I was telling him off for this and checking things out. The puppy is 8 weeks old and has been wormed, vet checked and had so they say its first vacination. But on its KC papers it say FOR PET ONLY NOT FOR BREEDING.

Can any breeder tell me why this restriction could have been put in place considering that he paid over the top for this pup.

My brother says hes not bothered but I just cant see why there is this restriction!
Carole
Supervisor

22-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Ive got that restriction on Star as well as an export one.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-03-2005, 10:55 AM
One possibilty is that if you breed from her it will be competition for them, also in the event of something going wrong at the birth of pups they can say that you were requested not to breed from her. Incidently I am not a breeder. Check the names on pedigree you may find they are none existant.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2005, 10:57 AM
breeding restrictions are put on papers for many reasons....

not a good example of the breed standard is one ..another is the breeder may wish to ensure that if the pup is bred from that a suitable dog is used ..the breeder will then lift the restriction......it's not always a bad thing to restrict a litter it can put( the one off litter people off breeding ).....

i will give an example Sophies sisters owners would like to have a litter this year..... her papers are restricted as we have so much syringo in our breed we have ot be careful of the lines we use.....the owner came over last week end with a pedigree of a super dooper ( her quote) stud dog ....I looked at the pedigree and yes he was a nice looking boy but the two pedigree's together would have been a disaster
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

22-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
breeding restrictions are put on papers for many reasons....

not a good example of the breed standard is one ..another is the breeder may wish to ensure that if the pup is bred from that a suitable dog is used ..the breeder will then lift the restriction......it's not always a bad thing to restrict a litter it can put( the one off litter people off breeding ).....
I can understand those reasons Inca. My problem is if the breeder was so interested in making sure that the pup was breed to a suitable dog why then sell on to a third party puppy dealer?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

22-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Ok Iv just got the full story out of him. The puppy isnt KC reg is DLreg. (I cant believe hes so stupid). My bro is saying its a pedigree "Iv got a certificate saying so," I cant get through to him that the peice of paper isnt worth the paper its written on. Hes paid £500 for this dog!!!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Hopefully he can just accept his mistake and enjoy his new puppy, after all a dog is a dog with or without kc reg
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2005, 11:33 AM
it is sometimes impossible to keep everything from a litter so it's just our way of protecting the pups .....of course she could ignore my advice and breed but can't register them ...but i hope that when i vetted them as new owners I did a good job of making sure they were good owners......of which they are and have taken my advice to look for another stud dog....
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

22-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Oh hes happy Gems its me that not, after all the advice I gave him!!!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2005, 11:34 AM
true Gems .............. very true
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >