Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2007, 09:32 AM

PLEASE HELP - to stop my puppy biting legs

Morning everyone,

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop my puppy Max from attcking eveyone's legs?

Whenever anyone walks passed him he jumps up and pulls at their clothing in the past week he has ripped holes on two pairs of trousers! One of them my best pair and new pair of trousers bought for christmas

He is only 11 weeks old but i think i need to nip this in the bud my two boys especially the youngest is scared to move as you all know puppy teeth are like little needles..

when i tell him to stop or NO he just sits there barking at me He's very intelligent though he has learnt the sit command and will sit when you tell him so i think there is some hope but i need some tips on what approach to take
PLEASE HELP..
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I would train an off/leave command. You can do this through training and play, training to give a toy/food. Play stops for desired behaviour.
Key is to try to anticipate behaviour from body language. I would strarply stand up turn away when starts the undesired behaviour. I would use vocal language, sharpe yelp.

Lots of praise for good behaviour.

D xxxxxxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Morning everyone,

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop my puppy Max from attcking eveyone's legs?

Whenever anyone walks passed him he jumps up and pulls at their clothing in the past week he has ripped holes on two pairs of trousers! One of them my best pair and new pair of trousers bought for christmas

He is only 11 weeks old but i think i need to nip this in the bud my two boys especially the youngest is scared to move as you all know puppy teeth are like little needles..

when i tell him to stop or NO he just sits there barking at me He's very intelligent though he has learnt the sit command and will sit when you tell him so i think there is some hope but i need some tips on what approach to take
PLEASE HELP..
Hello Mj Biting is normal behaviour in puppies, if a puppy doesn't bite there is something wrong with it . Puppies bite for a number of reasons, to explore the world around them/during play/and when teething.

Puppies are designed to have very sharp little teeth that hurt, they need to practise various forms of canine behaviour while they still have the immature jaws and teeth of a puppy and before they gain the strong jaws and teeth of an adult dog.

While still in the litter puppies bite each other and soon learn that when they bite too hard the other puppies will cry and run away, they lean to bite ever more gently so they don't scare off their litter mates, this is called bite inhibition. If the puppy remained in the litter it would develop the ability to control the strength of bite, we can carry on the lessons that were begun in the litter and teach the puppy never to bite humans.

Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy, if taught correctly should the puppy bite for any reason (like if in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt) it will never to sink it's teeth into human skin

Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.
Link to teaching bite inhibition ..
click here

It is also important that your children learn how to behave around a puppy, here is an article by one of our members with some helpful advice about Children and dogs

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=10261
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi Minihaha,
thank you for the information sent the article written by shadowboxer is a very informative one and also the web link i will try to put into practice bite inhibition advice i fully understand that you cant/shouldn't stop it all together at such a early age he is after all only a baby and like human babies they learn with their mouths.
But by starting now and teaching the children how to handle a situation before it gets out of control will hopefully lead to a happy and well balanced puppy and dog in later years to come..
many thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2007, 10:20 AM
...Continued Mj If the puppy is just jumping up and grabbing you and you wish to stop this,choose a word specifically for this one purpose, not 'no' because this word it is overused so something like 'away' and say it in a deep voice/ fold your arms/turn your back on the puppy then no word or eye contact, ignore the puppy until it is quiet, then give praise for the good behaviour.

You need to do this every time the puppy jumps up and everyone in the house needs to adopt the same behaviour the children included. The puppy will soon learn jumping up = no more play ..

It is also a good idea to stop the puppy jumping up to greet you at all while he is still small, he should be asked to sit and rewarded for doing so before anyone speaks to him .

Here is an article on basic puppy lessons

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Minihaha,
yes he is just jumping up especially fist thing in a morning and when he's been left on his own for a while he's very pleased to see us! will try this approach and see how we go.. thanks again
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I remember Harvey doing this we just said 'no' firmly and put him in the kitchen on his own for a couple of minutes. Have to say it worked really well amazing how quickly he caught on
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-01-2007, 07:50 PM
We had the same problem with our puppy,he didn't bite through the clothes though.We did the same as Marean excluded him only for a minute no more than two as they forget very quickly and also giving him something else to chew Ollie now greets us with a toy as we come down the stairs in the morning.He is 7 months now and still has the odd chew but it does get better with time and keeping up the alternative behaviour you want him to do.
lucyf
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Same as me at the moment i am putting my pup either outside for a few minuites or in the kitchen i literally had to do this about twenty times sometimes continously but it is working slowly!!! like you mj my puppy wont listen if i say no or something like that she just does it again or barks. As my pup like yours knows how to sit when she jumps up and nipps i just say no! sit down which she does and i praise her. But start by excludidng her for a few minuites that really worked for me
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm working on the leave command and he does "leave" sometimes Its true what they say "Patience is a virtue" but mines wearing thin especially when he catches the boys legs. he comes at you from behind like a flying rugby tackle i'm sure we will get there in the end.