View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:34 PM

places that you send your dogs to to be trained........

any thoughts on them, just come across some on the internet, i mean do dogs do better learning so intensly? or its it better to do certain amount daily?

im not sure i would do it to be honest, just wondered others thoughts?

*hiya sorry i meant Obedience*
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 11:17 PM
As you have posted this in Agility and Obedience, do you mean intensive courses on those activities particularly ?

Agility-wise, I have been teaching for many years and personally don`t do intensive training days, I think its too much to have a dog - or a handler - working too long at a time. Agility is supposed to be fun, not a chore or a `duty` imo.

Lessons with me are generally 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on class numbers and each dog takes short turns. I feel this keeps every individual part of a class short and sweet for each dog and keeps them interested because they are not doing laborious long turns being nagged over and over to do the same exercise/sequence.

In my experience they learn far better the short and sweet way and are much more keen for their next turn, plus it helps handlers tremendously to watch each other so a couple of turns each at a time is ideal for whatever exercise / element is being worked on at the time. Also, if a handler starts getting tired their voice and body language changes to reflect that so if a handler is `switching off` they can`t expect the dog to not switch off as well.

I believe that the ethos of a few minutes at a time working positively on any one thing [ whether agility or any basic obedience element or a `trick` or whatever ], is more fun for the dog therefore the learning is better because a willing student takes more in.

Some instructors do offer intensive day long one to one sessions but thats not something I would ever do myself for the above reasons.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 02:25 AM
IMO send away training is worthless, as it does no good for someone else to train your dog. Dog and handler should train together to build the relationship and the mode of communication. You;re always better off getting a trainer to work with you, to teach you how to train your dog.

I also don't like intensive training sessions. Short positive sessions, several times a day, are most effective in my personal experience.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 07:39 AM
I would never do it - you don't know what they have done to your dog plus a new owner has as much to learn as the dog Training is a big part of the fun of a new dog!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
IMO send away training is worthless, as it does no good for someone else to train your dog. Dog and handler should train together to build the relationship and the mode of communication. You;re always better off getting a trainer to work with you, to teach you how to train your dog.

I also don't like intensive training sessions. Short positive sessions, several times a day, are most effective in my personal experience.
Totally agree with this.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:38 AM
More often than not I have always believed it is the HANDLER/OWNER that should be trained.

Also in my mind part of the fun is learning together.

So would I send my dog off for training - nope never!

I think you can overdo training if its done on a intense basis too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
any thoughts on them, just come across some on the internet, i mean do dogs do better learning so intensly? or its it better to do certain amount daily?

im not sure i would do it to be honest, just wondered others thoughts?

*hiya sorry i meant Obedience*
Sending your dog away to be training is not only useless & very expensive, but you are putting your dog at risk of being abused. How do you know what treatment/training your dog will receive ?

Best way to train your dog is to find a good training club/trainer & learn how to train your dog there & do a little homework each day.

Training days/weekends in Obedience terms are either aimed at giving pets a better quality of life by teaching them & their owners to do different things together or at Obedience handlers to show different techniques & solve problems that can occur in competing in the ring

Sheila Bailey does some good courses in Derbyshire that cover lots of different aspects of dog training & ownership
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 01:40 PM
you all said exactly what i thought!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Sorry, I completely ignored the side of sending a dog away for training by someone other than the owner, it did`nt occur to me within the Agility / Obedience scope as I don`t believe in it as suitable for any dog not to learn with their owner in any regard for any job / task / activity anyway so that aspect went right over my head within the topics theme
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Sorry, I completely ignored the side of sending a dog away for training by someone other than the owner, it did`nt occur to me within the Agility / Obedience scope as I don`t believe in it as suitable for any dog not to learn with their owner in any regard for any job / task / activity anyway so that aspect went right over my head within the topics theme
sorry to confuse you patch!!! your right my titl makes no sense sorry!

i was browsing google for dog training schools near to me & a website come up where you send your dog to, like £250 a week! and i thought in my mind, isnt it better to train a dog yourself over time? rather than intesnly, so i thought id ask on here! everyone kinda said what i thought anywaY!