Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Hives?

Ive got a Viszla staying with me as his owners are away, and I noticed when the in laws dropped him off with me on sunday (they wanted him for the weekend) I noticed he had some Lumps on his shoulder . They seem to be hives but they said he had been charging about in long grass in the morning and is fine in himself so I didnt think much of it other than he had an allergic reaction to some grass

This morning theyve spread everywhere and theyre all up his legs and on his poor nose! Hes fine in himself, cant really think what would have caused them though? None of his bedding has changed, his food is the same, he hasnt had any treats that are different as he has a sensitive tum so ive just stuck to what I know hes fine with.

I have text his owners and asked if they would like me to take him to the vet ( I would like to as hes not my dog, I dont want to give him anything.) but do you think it would be worth a vet visit? Hes recently had a swollen lymph node in his neck that theyre trying to get to the bottom of (the vets have been useless so far) which is why im worried it could be somehow connected?

What would you do? vet?
TWOSOCKS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:30 AM
PERSONALLY JUST FOR MY OWN PIECE OF MIND i WOULD GET HIM CHECKED OVER
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by TWOSOCKS View Post
PERSONALLY JUST FOR MY OWN PIECE OF MIND i WOULD GET HIM CHECKED OVER
Thanks, please stop shouting though! no need for caps! haha
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Anyone else?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Difficult one. If he were your own dog - vet. As it is, you might want to wait for permission from the owner.

There are loads of midges about at the moment after all the rain. I've got about 20 bites myself and they are awfully itchy, to say nothing of looking awful - lots of lumps.

One thing that would make me urge the owners to think a vet visit necessary is the previous reaction to some grasses and the mysterious swelling node in his neck. May not be connected, but maybe could shed some light in that direction too
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Difficult one. If he were your own dog - vet. As it is, you might want to wait for permission from the owner.

There are loads of midges about at the moment after all the rain. I've got about 20 bites myself and they are awfully itchy, to say nothing of looking awful - lots of lumps.

One thing that would make me urge the owners to think a vet visit necessary is the previous reaction to some grasses and the mysterious swelling node in his neck. May not be connected, but maybe could shed some light in that direction too
(before I start I do have permission from the owner to post details on here to get more ideas and opinions)

Got permission from the owner to take him to the vet - what a day, poor love

Most of the hives had gone down by the time we got there, but a couple were still hanging around so she checked him over. All his nodes were up slightly as was his temp (but apparently always is because he gets so excited to be in there) and the hives on his shoulder were really painfull and he screamed when she was fiddling with them. She gave him anti biotics to fight off any infection and I was told to give him piriton every 8 hours.

Then she chased up the lab results from testing his swollen lymph node in his neck - pretty much just confirmed that he was having a reaction to an infection or allergy and it was draining through the lymph node or something to that effect. Also his white blood cells were slightly raised but that would be expected if it was an infection.

So off we went and I got him some piriton to have which he wasnt too thrilled about. Hives stayed away and all was well, went for a walk in town and away from fields incase that was the problem - nope all fine. Then went to pick up one of the labs to do some training with and was going to leave mac in the car in his crate in the shade, got to the labs house and looked at him and his nose was like this! as well as the rest of his body

So he had to be all itchy and hivey till he could have his next piriton about an hour ago poor love, hes scratched 2 of them and made them bleed so he will be having a sock on. I cant tell if the piriton has worked this time properly as hes sleeping in his crate but his ears look a bit better.

Fingers crossed the piriton and antib's work!

Has anyone had experience of this sort of thing? what route would you choose to go down next?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:10 PM
It does look alarming and I hope you get it sorted. Can't help but think lucky dog and lucky dog owners to have someone as concerned as you looking after him. What a load of stress for you.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
It does look alarming and I hope you get it sorted. Can't help but think lucky dog and lucky dog owners to have someone as concerned as you looking after him. What a load of stress for you.
Ah I dont mind it! It makes for a change of pace anyway! Hes now got a tshirt on, hes not impressed lol
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:27 PM
A T-shirt? Aww love him!
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
A T-shirt? Aww love him!
We are not happy about this arrangement