Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 04:59 PM

Would it put you off owning a dog...

...if it could be considered 'of type' and therefore there is a risk of it being seized as in the 'One Show' example?

For myself I'm unsure. I don't know if I could cope with the worry of my family pet being seized and possibly destroyed. I know some of you have dogs like this and is it a daily worry or something you don't think about?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
...if it could be considered 'of type' and therefore there is a risk of it being seized as in the 'One Show' example?

For myself I'm unsure. I don't know if I could cope with the worry of my family pet being seized and possibly destroyed. I know some of you have dogs like this and is it a daily worry or something you don't think about?
I would never choose to own a dog "of type" as history has shown what can occur.

So I would always have either pedigree, KC registered dogs with all the associated paperwork or something that looks about as far away from type as possible.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure that I would knowingly purchase a dog that looked of type as it would be awful to have your dog siezed.

If I happened end up with a dog then so be it, and you just live each day as it comes and try your hardest to make sure the dog is well trained and a good example
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Yep - I wouldn't be able to take the risk that one day they might come for it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:07 PM
It would put me off for sure. It is sad that there are so many staffy crosses in rescue, some of which look of type. I often wonder whether that is one of the (sadly many) reasons why some dogs get overlooked.

I just couldn't risk having a dog that I knew could be taken off me just because of the way it looked
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Absolutely. I think SBTs are lovely dogs, but wouldn't own one because of what the public think of them. They aren't even illegal! I could not take the "pain" of being the person uneducated people run from when they see you coming.

I also could not take the pain of having a dog seized, especially after the Lennox fiasco.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't get a dog of 'type' so it wouldn't be an issue for me. Not because I have anything against them but because they are not my kind of dog.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:17 PM
It would put me off certainly, although it probably wouldn't be my first choice of dog anyway.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I can't imagine buying a puppy that wasn't KC reg unless i bought another racing grey, and they defo aren't of type, so i'd have all the proof I needed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:12 PM
No. But I wouldn`t have a toy dog. Or a lapdog. I like the dogs I like so it wouldn`t be because of `type`.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >