View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 07:48 AM

The things people throw out for the birds or foxes.

Around here we normally get things like bread, corn, nuts and chicken carcasses but yesterday there were Elizabeth Shaw mints!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:48 AM
One should never feed birds bread especially when its dry it can cause all sorts of problems for them as it expands in their crops and can cause bacteria to multiply.

Oats are better, meal worms bird seed, fat balls, nuts or anything the RSPB recomends is a lot better for them.

ive currently got porrige oats and bird seed in my feeders and ive all ready attracted song thrushes to the garden this year im usually lucky if I ever see them.

I also caught a glimpse of a young black bird yesterday very pretty it was. young black birds look a lot like song thrushes but they have the tawny colour of their mothers and a redder breast which is spotty like song thrush as their a member of thrush family too.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:00 AM
People near me throw things out for the birds, sometimes whole loafs of stale bread, broken biscuits, pies. What they expect a bird to do with a whole loaf of bread I don't know. It really annoys me because my lab always finds it before the birds and it's hard to get it from her. I was pulling her away from a load of biscuits the other day which a lady had thrown out andshe shouted "it's ok its only broken biscuits" did she really think I would want my dog to have a packet of custard creams for her breakfast.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes idiotic people feeding vermin! One chicken carcass was gobbled up by a GSD puppy a few days ago by me. Poor soul, he is dead now, of a ruptured stomach and intestines. The stuff was thrown into bushes along with other crap. Another dog there on the same walk also ate some, but she was thankfully ok.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Around here we normally get things like bread, corn, nuts and chicken carcasses but yesterday there were Elizabeth Shaw mints!
How very posh!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I used to put bird seed out, I liked watching the Robins and the Blue tits feed then the BT's started to try and nest in my house and I stopped feeding them, as well as rats moving into my garden too.. but I don't think the two are linked as I stopped feeding the birds a while ago.

Now if I want to feed the wildlife I take it to the Lake and feed them there (ducks and birds) I don't feed foxes as I don't want to encourage them on my garden due to the rabbits.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
One should never feed birds bread especially when its dry it can cause all sorts of problems for them as it expands in their crops and can cause bacteria to multiply.

Oats are better, meal worms bird seed, fat balls, nuts or anything the RSPB recomends is a lot better for them.

ive currently got porrige oats and bird seed in my feeders and ive all ready attracted song thrushes to the garden this year im usually lucky if I ever see them.

I also caught a glimpse of a young black bird yesterday very pretty it was. young black birds look a lot like song thrushes but they have the tawny colour of their mothers and a redder breast which is spotty like song thrush as their a member of thrush family too.
Bread's a killer for birds, including ducks. As you say, much better to feed stuff that the RSPB recommends such as you list above.

I use the Song Bird and Robin food from Pets at Home, meal worms when I can afford them, peanuts, fat balls ... and most importantly, plenty of clean, fresh water, especially when it is frozen solid on these cold, frosty mornings.

I hope your young blackbird survives the winter ... we had a nest of house sparrows in our garage roof who have only just fledged ... I doubt they will survive, but all I can do is to give them a helping hand
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes idiotic people feeding vermin! One chicken carcass was gobbled up by a GSD puppy a few days ago by me. Poor soul, he is dead now, of a ruptured stomach and intestines. The stuff was thrown into bushes along with other crap. Another dog there on the same walk also ate some, but she was thankfully ok.

How awful ... cooked chicken carcase is dynamite, as this poor dog found out. Raw carcase is fine, as my boys will confirm!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
People near me throw things out for the birds, sometimes whole loafs of stale bread, broken biscuits, pies. What they expect a bird to do with a whole loaf of bread I don't know. It really annoys me because my lab always finds it before the birds and it's hard to get it from her. I was pulling her away from a load of biscuits the other day which a lady had thrown out andshe shouted "it's ok its only broken biscuits" did she really think I would want my dog to have a packet of custard creams for her breakfast.
O Lord! Why do people do this ... if they must throw out such food, it would be best if they restricted it to their own garden - assuming this is fenced and secure so passing dogs cannot get in. A greedy labrador will go through a thick hedge of sloe thorns to get to something they consider to be tasty!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
that's crazy!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >