Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Josh Gifford - Ex Racing Trainer Findon

Some of you might be familiar with the old Josh Gifford Racing stables in Findon Village where I live, now run by his son Nick.

I have only just heard that Josh passed away yesterday after suffering a heart attack Such a lovely, lovely man, I knew him well, I used to do the catering for him for his open days and cricket club teas, always smiling, always up for a laugh. His daughter Tina of course is well known for her 3 day eventing, and I see her out on the gallops most days, even this morning, she was cantering about in the fresh snow all on her own, and I wondered what she was doing out so early in these conditions, but now I know why

He was taken to hospital recently when he collapsed at home, he was in intensive care for a while, then in the cardiac ward, but he was sent home and was recovering well, far as I knew, this came as quite a shock to me.

R.I.P. Josh xxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 02:10 PM
He was a great trainer, horseman and a true gentleman.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I remember him well from years ago---didn't he marry Althea Roger Smith or am I mixed up?

Whatever----Light to him and his family.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes I knew the stables and the previous incumbent, Captain Ryan Price for whom I used to ride out.

The Captain was quite a martinet.

Yes Josh married Althea
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
He trained Aldaniti to win the national with Bob Champion on board. Fantastic achievement.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Aww how sad.

RIP Josh.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Helena, yes I remember the name 'tho I didn't know he was based in Findon Village, how sad, I think he was one of the 'old school' in horse racing circles, he will be missed. I am reliably informed that the industry is going through some major changes, and not all the owners are happy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Oh no, he was a true Gent, good jockey & trainer. He was on board the second in Foinavon's National. He wasn't that all either
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm actually wondering myself now how old he must have been Probably late 60's?

Certainly a REAL gentleman, liked his tipple, and who wouldn't when you've achieved what he did in life. He had 3 dogs that he religeously walked for miles each morning, coz I used to pass him on his way back, but the ridgeback wasn't too friendly, so I never stopped to chat on those occasions for obvious reasons. He'd always give me the time of day when I met him in the papershop though, always asked how I was, and I'm sure he used to tip his hat as he said goodmorning too, and only real gents do that don't they!

One thing's for sure, this little village of mine, is going to be bursting at the seams on the day of his funeral, probably to the same extent as when Aldaniti won the National, but of course, without the joviality. I expect he'll have the local carriage with the 6 black horses with their plumes, so I will get some pics for you as they go through the village, which I'm sure they will.

He was heavily involved with the cricket team, he loved his cricket, and I will never forget, one day up at the cricket club, when I had done a big tea on his behalf, for all the players, he invited me out to dinner with them all in the evening at the local village hotel, which was a real blast as you can imagine, but I was young enough to enjoy it then!!

I'm quite shocked and upset that such a kind man has been taken so young.

Harvey, I don't know much about the racing bit any more, you kind of lose interest/touch when you no longer have horses, but all I do know is, when Josh was running the yard his strong was 60 horses long, every single morning, twice a morning you'd see them all out and about everywhere, but since Nick has taken over, I've probably not seen more than 6 at the most out on the gallops,let alone anywhere else. I see more of Tina's horses being worked than the racing yard. I'm sure these bad times have hit them really hard, afterall, it's a real luxury to own a racehorse isn't it, but then we'll always have our bankers splashing the cash won't we!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-02-2012, 09:18 PM
H - Likewise I'm not fully aware of all that's going on in the racing world now but it seems that attendances at the race courses has been declining and the betting industry, the trainers, and the course owners are having 'full & frank' discussions about how to rectify the situation and so far each is pointing the finger at the other two parties