Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Lip ulcers, any suggestions??

My old lady cocker spaniel has suffered with lip sores/ulcers at the corners of her mouth and gum line which she rubs and scratches a lot, several visits to vet has produced nothing that will help, they say it is due to saliva causing irritation, and the cream they gave me just didnt stop on long enough to be useful. has anyone come across this problem and any suggestions to help as it is driving her mad....and seems to be getting worse, recent trip to the vet cost a fair penny and the only comment from the vet was 'I'm not worried about it'... rather useless comment.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi Davina welcome to Dogsey. What are your dogs teeth like? If they are decayed they could be contributing to the ulcer problem.
You could try Logic mouth gel, it contains enzymes which helps to keep the dogs mouth and teeth healthy and reduces bacteria/plaque.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Hi and Welcome to Dogsey.
Please get your vet to rule out that they are not eosinophilic granulomas.
I have had two dogs with these and it took a while to diagnose as its not something the vets were expecting to see.
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Davina welcome to Dogsey. What are your dogs teeth like? If they are decayed they could be contributing to the ulcer problem.
You could try Logic mouth gel, it contains enzymes which helps to keep the dogs mouth and teeth healthy and reduces bacteria/plaque.
Where might I get hold of this gel?
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
what are eosinophilic granulomas, have looked on net but dont seem to fit with the dogs problem, though it is difficult to see properly as she does not like her mouth being handles.....though worrying ..her mother had a mandiblectomy due to malignant melanoma...any poss connection???
Meg
Supervisor

11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Toty View Post
Where might I get hold of this gel?
Hi Davina ..from the vets or you can buy it on line. Google 'Logic Gel'.
You didn't say what condition her teeth are in, are they clean and healthy? If the teeth are bad/broken your dog may be eating awkwardly and this could contribute to the formation of ulcers.

What do you feed her on..
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Her teeth arent too bad, the vet certainly did not comment
she is fed on rice/ chicken with a little dog meat...I am desperate to sort her as she spends a lot of time rubbing her face along furniture and scratching her jowls, she shudders but it is obviously a mixture of itch and soreness, with her lips being coloured black and red , it is difficult to see where the soreness actually is
Meg
Supervisor

11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I am desperate to sort her as she spends a lot of time rubbing her face along furniture and scratching her jowls, she shudders but it is obviously a mixture of itch and soreness,
Hi Davina this sounds like the symptoms of a condition called LFD, are the sores in her mouth? Does she smell funny?

Cockers are predisposed to a condition called 'Lip fold dermatitis' . You can usually tell if this is the problem because it smells a bit 'fishy' and can be mistaken for an anal gland problem.

The folds of skin at the side of the mouth become infected and sore and the dog rubs against things to relieve the discomfort. If this is the problem Malaseb wash will help.
Meg
Supervisor

11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
...continued from the post above.

..this is a dog with LFD...
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Yes..the vet seems to think this is the problem, we have had spaniels before that have needed a little operation to reduce the mouth folds to prevent saliva etc from pooling,
there is no smell from Shonas mouth other than normal doggy(foody ) smells, the soreness seems to be more on the inside of the lips, assuming your suggestion IS the problem what is the stuff you mentioned...the vet did put her on tablets and a cream , which seemed to work and improved the situation, but it soon returned and I really dont want her on tablets if poss.
Anyway last visit Vet not give me that option....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >