Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cazcaz
New Member!
Female 

20-02-2013, 11:46 PM

Dog bolting out the front door

Hi,

We have just adopted a new dog roughly 3 years old. Everytime we open the door she tries to bolt. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to stop this.

Thanks
Caroline
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Don't allow her access to the front door unless she's on lead and going out for a walk?

My dogs are not allowed into the hallway or near the front door unless I'm taking them out. It means that aside from them not being able to go tear-arsing up the street at 100mph, that visitors can get into the house when invited without being slobbered and jumped on. This way, by the time visitors have got to the dogs, things are calmer, at least a little bit.

Keep the doors shut or put up a 4 foot stair gate if you don't have doors.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2013, 01:03 AM
I always make my chi go in the kitchen when the door bell rings, I've done this from when he was a pup so he automatically goes in there now make it part of your training as some people don't like dogs jumping up at them.
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-02-2013, 02:38 AM
see if you can get one of your buddys to knock on the door so your dog can hear it then tell your dog to "sit" and "stay" ......then start to open the door if the dog gets up then gast shut the door back and tell it to sit and stay ...keep doing this into you can open the door whithout the dog runing out the door insted sitting when its open thats how i did my dog
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I think this is a confidence problem rather than an obedience problem. Your new dog is probably still not settled with you and will need some time to adapt and get used to his/her new home. Be patient and work on his/her rehabilitation with you and I'm sure the problem will soon resolve.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Mine are also not allowed near the door unless we are going out, we used to use a baby gate then had an extra door added so they have to have their leads on before approaching the door.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 08:47 AM
For more than 10 yrs the routine in our house was - put the dog in the kitchen or the back yard BEFORE you open the front door. They quickly start to associate going there with when the doorbell rings or the knocker bangs.

Same thing with Bella now if she barks for no apparent reason - she was put outside so many times for doing it when a puppy that now if she does it we only have to stand and extend an arm toward the open verandah doors and out she goes (and she waits there too to be called back in! Even though we no longer shut her out there)
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi, Good Advice,we have a busy A Road,it only takes a second,Keeping them on a lead within the house is also good.crystalgirl
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by pitboy View Post
see if you can get one of your buddys to knock on the door so your dog can hear it then tell your dog to "sit" and "stay" ......then start to open the door if the dog gets up then gast shut the door back and tell it to sit and stay ...keep doing this into you can open the door whithout the dog runing out the door insted sitting when its open thats how i did my dog
Good answer Pitboy, I agree
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by pitboy View Post
Except that bear in ind you're in the UK in the middle of Winter and your friend would freeze their ar$e off standing on your doorstep for any length of time!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >