Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Scared dog

Hi just wondered if anyone could give me any tips. I have 2 dogs both used to other dogs and both castrated, however we rescued a spaniel just after christmas and our friend took him in he is an entire male, we are looking after him for 3 nights and my youngest that is a giddy idiot won't even look at him and is acting really weird we have had entire males stay with us before and he has never acted like this. The only difference I can think of is that Ben (the springer) has not run in and been jumping all over him to play unlike the others that have stayed with us. It is really out of character for him as he normally wants to play with every dog he meets in or out of the house and he is fine with him when we meet up for walks regularly. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:34 PM
No one can really advise without seeing what's going on, but all I would say is listen to your dog. It sounds like, for whatever reason, he is not fully comfortable with the new comer so make sure your boy has his own space when he wants it and keep an eye on the situation.

His worry maybe unwarranted, but it's always worth considering our dogs' feelings and instincts especially when they are somewhat out of character just in case they have spotted something that we haven't
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:40 PM
i always make sure they have there own space and keep an eye on them thanks for the advice
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
No one can really advise without seeing what's going on, but all I would say is listen to your dog. It sounds like, for whatever reason, he is not fully comfortable with the new comer so make sure your boy has his own space when he wants it and keep an eye on the situation.

His worry maybe unwarranted, but it's always worth considering our dogs' feelings and instincts especially when they are somewhat out of character just in case they have spotted something that we haven't
Yep would agree. Sounds like entire male may be telling your dog to "back off" if that is the case i would deff keep an eye out. But also congratulate yourself on having a dog who understands perfectly what the dog is telling him
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:42 PM
thats whats worryin me Ben (springer ) hasn't even took any notice of him and normally no matter how much a dog tells Bert (pointer cross) to go away he still tries to play unfortunately he don't understand go away
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by waifsnstrays View Post
Hi just wondered if anyone could give me any tips. I have 2 dogs both used to other dogs and both castrated, however we rescued a spaniel just after christmas and our friend took him in he is an entire male, we are looking after him for 3 nights and my youngest that is a giddy idiot won't even look at him and is acting really weird we have had entire males stay with us before and he has never acted like this. The only difference I can think of is that Ben (the springer) has not run in and been jumping all over him to play unlike the others that have stayed with us. It is really out of character for him as he normally wants to play with every dog he meets in or out of the house and he is fine with him when we meet up for walks regularly. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
id be more worried bout the opposite (eyeballing)
imo its a sign of respect from your youngster,why not pop a lead on them and take them round the block together(one each side) may help everyones relax a tad..including you
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:52 PM
They are fine when out and if off lead Bert wont leave bens side fine on te lead and ben hasn't even looked at bert just come in and flopped bless him could be something and nothing but it is unusal for bert to be like this as we very often have dogs staying with us for various reasons
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2011, 01:24 AM
This is a bit off the wall but could it be that Bert may have had a bad experience with a dog that looks like Ben in the past?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:21 AM
My Shamus gets very anxious around entire males. However, he has learned to tolerate my newish entire GSD. But they will never be best friends as Shamus is wary of him.
On the other hand, other dogs will try to play with Shamus (neutered male) but are very polite around Daisy (neutered bitch).
Dogs have their own `rules`, IMO.