Our sister sites
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 09:59 AM

two dogs needing homes / at risk of being PTS

Crossposted. Can anyone help?

Widow’s agony over dogs

It was her husband’s dying wish – to make sure his beloved dogs were given a loving home. But 26-year-old widow Kimberley Williams may now be forced to have the pets put down.

Faced with the tragic certainty of leaving his wife, the last thing cancer victim Andrew Williams wanted was her to take on the responsibility of caring for their two dogs alone.

The couple made a pact that if he died, pets Brandy and Whiskey would be taken to a sanctuary to be rehomed together as Kimberley would no longer be in a position to look after them.

Sadly Andrew lost his fight for life four weeks ago aged 41 following a courageous 10-month battle with the illness.

The Willenhall couple ran the Cross Guns pub in Wednesfield until last October, when Andrew’s cancer was diagnosed.

Devastated Kimberley, a secretary for the union Unite in West Bromwich, said she may be forced to have the “lovely” dogs put to sleep unless a new owner can be found.

Still grieving for her husband of two years, she told today how she had “lost everything” and is desperate to find a good home for the animals after rescue centres were unable to take them.

“It is a terrible time,” she said, fighting back the tears.

“My husband had no estate to leave me so I can’t afford to stay in our house and am moving to my parents’ house.

“My mother also has cancer which she is fighting at the moment.

“As a result I have to let the dogs go. I just have no choice because I have lost everything.

“They are lovely animals who had a really hard life. They were rescue dogs from Sunnyside Kennels in Coven four years ago.”

Brandy, a five-year-old male Staffordshire Bull terrier/whippet cross had been used as a fighting dog prior to being rescued.

Female Alsatian-cross Whiskey is also aged five.

Kimberley, of Violet Road, Short Heath, added: “I have tried in the last three weeks to find a sanctuary that will be able to take them but everywhere is full up at the moment.

“They said I should have placed the dogs on a waiting list but although he was ill, I didn’t know Andrew was going to pass away.

“I now find myself in the position that if I can not find any where for these loving, affectionate, healthy dogs, I have no alternative other than to have them put to sleep. It is heartbreaking.”

Email kimberley2406@hotmail.co.uk if you can help.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 04:21 PM
How very sad.

Has she contacted the rescue they came from as many have a clause in the agreement saying should they ever need to be rehomed that they must be returned to the sanctuary they came from.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2007, 04:23 PM
This is so sad I hope the rescue where they came from can take them on again, or someone else will offer them a great forever home!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Any update?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2007, 11:30 AM
That's really sad I wish her well and hope she can find or has found her two dogs the perfect home
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Any update on this I suppose she has asked Birmingham Dog's home if they can take them back. I know if they are not rehomed after a time this will still mean they are PTS but it does give more time.
NanjoDogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2007, 04:06 PM
So sad, I hope you find a good home for these two. Please keep us posted.