Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-10-2008, 10:39 PM

Russell Brand/Jonathan Ross Brouhaha

How ridiculous.

Ok, I'd be the first to say that it was a dumb prank (not unexpected for Brand tho lol). But thanks to the stupid tabloids whipping up a frenzy it has led to over 16,000 complaints. I wonder how many of them actually listened to the god damn show!! Probably about 2

It worries me how much control and influence the press has over people (and even more so how people lap it up). If it wasn't for the likes of the daily mail there wouldn't have been such a furore!

Thank flip for the younger generation: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7697622.stm

And even Davina: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698856.stm

Ok rant over!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I agree, what they did was in bad taste(but not as bad taste as some stuff on tv/radio and not as bad has some of the pictures she has posed for) but the way the media have whipped up a frenzy is beyond a joke, anyone would think they had commited mass murder.

2 Complained about the language when first aired in september and now almost 20,000 and like you say most people either havent, A, seen/heard it, B, Complain for complainings sake or C, wouldnt know who they were if the jumped up and bit them on the bum.

But no doubt it will blow over when the mail has another princess di cover up story ready.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Whether or not you agree or disagree with the media coverage or indeed listened to the show the transcript of the phone calls makes for cringing reading. they were ringing aprivate number and being VERY crude and disrespectful about his grandaughter.If someone phoned me and left messages like that I would actually contact the police.The fact that these messages were then used as part of a radio show two days later shows planning and pre-meditation.

People who hold influence over people should be more careful about what they do/say.I agree with them being suspended whilst it is investigated.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree, absolutely stupid....i heard on the news that on the day it was aired they only had a couple of complaints.

I like them both and think they are very funny, the phone call was stupid but they have both said sorry.

From what i heard the bbc was asked not to air the recording but they did anyway, so why are the bosses not being pulled into line as well?

I love "friday night with jr" what will i do now.....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I agree, a very stupid prank, but no worse than some things that get aired by the BBC. They would've got a slap across the wrists if it hadn't been for the media attention, even Andrew Sachs wasn't interested in making a formal complaint.

Sadly people will believe anything they see on the TV and read in the newspaper!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I think ITV news have played their part in spreading the word.

How on earth is it worthy of being on 'the bongs' at the start of the main news.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I absolutely take the point about the power and influence of the media - it worries me too.

I absolutely detest the overpaid, overrated and undertalented duo, Ross and Brand so would be happy to witness their demise. I also think what they apparently did was pathetic and out of order and they are supposed to be grown men.

I didn't see it (I'd rather wade through a full rubbish bag for a missing button than watch either of these twits) so I can't really comment factually.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I think the public have a right to say no when they feel a line has been crossed and I think it was on this occasion. This wasn't a general rant into the ether(sp) but a personal attack on someone who wasn't there to defend themselves and I would call that bullying.
As a lot of people are aware I am not a fan of the media and certainly dont feel that it should be the top news story with everything else that is going on but I feel that it is right that JR and RB have been suspended.
Why should people be allowed to say what they want under the umbrella of humour?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 11:32 PM
This was like.. the main story on the news tonight ridiculous! they shouldn't have done it and it shouldn't have been aired but it's not THAT big a deal surely
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 07:01 AM
yes it was a stupid prank.

However, if the BBC had acted promptly by rapping knuckles and reviewing their policy on offensive broadcasts, this wouldn't have blown up.

As to the media whipping people into a frenzy - well, really.
A story gets run and if there's no groundswell of public opinion to sustain it, it dies.
If public opinion says this went beyond the boundaries of common decency, then the story continues to run, until action is taken.

The BBC could have pre-empted the whole sorry affair by talking swift action. If it takes no action, or is slow to take action, it really begs the question, would they have done anything without newspaper intervention?

Still the majority of people think a boundary of common decency was crossed, or this story would not run.

As to not hearing the show - immaterial.
I was not in the July bombings - have I no right to feel outraged?

I am glad we do have a free press, because it garners public opinion, demands action - and in that way holds Corporations, Individuals and even governments accountable.
Not having a press free to do so is far more scary to me.

Do the BBC , Messrs Ross and Brand deserve the prime slot on the News at Ten?
No, of course they do not.

But, I am grateful they are there. Why?
Because bad news sells newspapers, bad news hits headlines.
If the BBC, Ross and Brand are at the top, it means there is currently no real bad news, like a tsunami or 9/11 or a massacre to report. That's good news.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »