Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2006, 08:32 PM

Cav with runny eyes

Hi everyone.

I know its quite normal for Cavs to have the slighty runny eyeswhich causes staining on their noses. However my question is, is there anything I can do to help prevent it? I've tried the small dab of vasaline near the eye to stop it running onto his nose and clean his eyes every morning but it still happens.
Any ideas would be most welcome!

Thanks
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi, How old is your boy ? It is fairly normal for them to have it, I just clean them every day with cotton pads and Optrex Eye Wash as recommended by my vet.
As the snout grows it should reduce x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Rachie is this a puppy? Puppies can get runny eyes when cutting their second teeth.
It the 'runnyness' is clear with no sign of coloured discharge you may find it helps to make up some mild saline which is a similar composition to real tears...that's one teaspoon of salt to a pint of boiled water , wipe the eyes with some cotton wool dipped in the saline a fresh piece for each eye, then dry thoroughly before rubbing a little Vaseline between you fingers to melt it then gently wipe beneath the eye with your finger to make the hair waterproof and prevent staining.
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
I put some Angels Glow in with the feed half a teaspoon and that changes the ph balance of the tears. I also wipe with Optrex Some breeder once told me that it can sometimes be the food as well epecially if it has beef in it Not sure how true that is though.
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that, I'll give the saline thing a go! Hes not a puppy no, hes 3 now.. sometimes its worse than others, for example if its really cold, which I guess is just like our eyes! Bless him though he looks neglected with his brown fur on his nose!! hes so clean everywhere else as well
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Sophie is 3 and still gets tear stains ...some say its feeding some say its an imature head I think its just a cavalier trait

just keep them clean is about all you can do