Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mossford
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Car Sickness

Can anyone advise me on how to stop my 6mth old puppy being sick when we travel. I take her out often and she is always sick. This can be on a 10 min trip to shop or a 2hr drive to visit my daughter.
She first starts to drool and then it all comes up. As she is getting older it's more smelly and we are due to go on a 6hr drive next month to visit my mum, and I am dreading the journey. I have not had this problem with our other 2 dogs so I would love to hear if you can help me.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 07:56 PM
My collie Cain used to do that when he was a pup, so I know what you mean
Just keep persevering(sp) with little trips and get longer and longer.
Cain doesn't get car sick at all now
pete
Almost a Veteran

31-01-2005, 08:01 PM
cody was car sick all the time ,but likes bin said b4 lots of short trips helps,he still gets sick on the long ones but waits till he gets out the car now
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Minnie's just the same so what I've found works is to give her a chew to munch on whilst driving, it seems to keep her mind off being sicK. The last 3 or 4 long journeys she hasn't been sick once so I guess its worked for her.
Carole
Supervisor

31-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Star used to get car sick so we tried not to feed her before travelling.

She grew out of it by the time she was 9 months.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

01-02-2005, 01:29 AM
If it is true motion sickness and not nerves you could try giving her a ginger biscuit prior to the journey. Many people advise putting newspaper directly under the dog, not to catch the mess but because it apparently prevents sickness occurring. I don't know personally if it works, but worth a try. The vet should be able to give you something for the long journey if nothing else works.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Don't ask me why it works but it does or at least it did for me, sit the dog on a pile of newspapers at least 2" thick. If nothing else it makes clearing up easy and with my dog it worked. They do grow out of it any way and you could also try putting the pup in a difference place in the car. Ginger biscuits are also said to help.

EDIT: sorry missed the post above, still it shows that it may work
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 11:16 AM
I have never had any probs with Ally and driving. In fact forst time driving was for three hours and she sleept all the way

Sill does if its a longer trip. Orells she´ll look out on all the things we pass and bark at the voice comming from where (?? ) at Mc´Donlads drive-through. They always gives her treats so I guess its a bad habbit now

My neighbour had probs with his Kleine Münster and driving though. He tought it by take small trips to places the dog loves and never feed it an hour before driving. No water either.
That way he tought it driving is fun and will get you to places where the dog loves to be. When driving home, the dog was tired and just fell asleep so no probs there.

Eventually he drove longer and longer trips and now his dog jumps into the car everytime a door is open. Dont wanna miss the fun
Meg
Supervisor

02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi Mossford, sick dog in car is a nightmare isn't it ..here are a couple of things to try, firstly ginger I know it has already been mentioned but this is slightly different. Ginger has been use in Chinese medicine for centuries in relation to sickness, it is excellent for morning sickness in pregnancy too. Take a piece of fresh ginger about an inch square and grate it,now squeeze the juice with your hand and a yellow liquid will come out. Now add a little of the liquid to some water...abouthalf a teaspoon and maybe a little disolved sugar and see if or dog will drink it. If not you can use ginger biscuits but this is a purer form and very effective in humans. The second thing is more to control the fear factor that some dogs have, and motion sickness caused by the dogs eyes trying to focus on moving objects. On journeys put the dogs in a crate and cover with a light blanket so he can't see, make sure there is a good supply of fresh air in the car. Lastly, get your dog used to the car, as long as the weather is not too hot or cold feed/walk the dog then put it in the car for twenty minutes or so, longer if it falls asleep . If you are working outside in the garden where you can be seen that is good too, or try with the crate and cover, you will probably find your dog goes to sleep after food and exercise and without the motion and associated sickness will be less fearful and will associating the car with a place to sleep.