Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Weeing in the Kitchen...

Hello, Just need some advice / ideas really...
My dog Cooper sleeps in the kitchen - he is housetrained but when we let him out in the morning (7am ish) he has always weed and pooed. We only feed him once a day and the last 2 weeks been feeding him earlier then taking him out until he does a poo, and of course we let him out at night - about 12, and wait for him to do a wee. It hasnt had any effect at all... he gets told off every morning but he still does it. We stayed with some relatives for a week over xmas - and they live in a flat. We walked him during the day and took him out for a quick wee before bed - then we would get up at about 8am ish to take him out for a wee, and he would hold it in for about 20 mins into the walk till he found the 'right' spot. He never once toileted in their house. So it isnt like he cannot hold it in, he is a healthy adult dog. Just recently he has started to do it during the day when we are out for an hour or so and the other night when we let him out for a wee at 12ish we went to bed and came down at 2am and he had already been to the loo!!!!!

We just havent got a clue what to do!!!! We have ordered some Four Paws Super Strengh Industrial Odour Remover but I am doubtful if it will work...
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Hmmmm I had a similar problem with Saffy for a while. We would let her in the garden last thing and she would wee. But about hour later if we came down she would have had another one. What we did to solve it was to allow her to have as much water as she liked during the day but take her water bowl away after 6pm, then we would let her in the garden 1 hour before we went to bed for a wee, then make her go out an hour later and actually not allow her in until she had performed. It took about 1 week but worked.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
How old is he?
Its no good telling him off....he doesn't understand.You must catch him in the act to be able to discipline a behaviour
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
I agree. Telling him off doesn't help; he doesn't understand at all unless you catch him in the middle of doing it.

Have you thought about going back to basics - taking him outside and repeating a trigger word ( I use 'be clean' but only because I read it in a puppy training book - I regret it now as I sound like a religious zealot when I rush outside shouting, "be clean, be clean." ) Anyway, you could use hurry up, or wee/poo if you like, and when he performs, reward him with treats and cuddles. If he has regressed a bit this could take some time.

Also I have read it is a good idea to clean the soiled floor with biological washing powder as this really gets rid of the smell.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I wish we'd used "be clean" we are always calling out "do poo poo's and wee wee's"
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Lol @ JULIE... we use 'get on with it'
Annestaff
Supervisor

11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
A brilliant odour beater is Jays fluid.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Annestaff yes it is a great odour beater, but its also a nose beater too, and Jeyes fluid shouldnt be used in the house. Its an external disinfectant.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 02:34 PM
It's extremely toxic to pets too !
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 03:42 PM
hmm.. from wot ive heard in past, do u think maybe hes weeing cos hes nervous that he will be told off when u come in in themorning and jus gettin anxious? afterall telling him off in the morning isnt going to teach him not to do it because he wont associate being told off with weeing.

maybe trying completely ignoring what he has done and jus take him out. I also wouldnt restrict water?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >